Angelfish with fin rot Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bubblynutter, Apr 10, 2010.

1. bubblynutter

bubblynutterWell Known MemberMember

Hey guys,

I was hoping I wouldn't have to post in this forum, but looks like I need to!

I have done some major tank redesigning today, which has allowed me the opportunity to look closely at all the inhabitants. I confirmed Shadow (my black angel) has a case of fin rot (first noticed yesterday).

I've done a search here to find some answers, and have found a few ideas.
    I already soak Shadow's food in Garlic Guard, and I added some Stress Guard to the water the last two days.

I have Shadow in my tank with 8 clown loaches and 10 bn plecos (among other things). What else can I do to treat him/her without upsetting everyone else? And my BB?

I don't have access to a QT at this point (just sold my 15g :;fru). Opinions and advice are much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning Bubbly,

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/fish-finrot.htm
    You may have seen the link above, but in case you haven't there it is :)
    Sorry to hear that your Angel is dealing with fin rot. Pristine water conditions are crucial for him. Adding Vita Chem along with the garlic juice to it's food should help.

Here is a link or two to a quick quarantine set up:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-tank-equipment/59963-cheapie-qt-tanks.html
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/otocinclus/34328-quick-dirty-quarantine-setup.html
    Best wishes!
    Ken

3. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Thanks Ken. I had seen the article on fin rot. I'm concerned about using any chemicals (other than stress guard) without further advice. I don't want to mess with everyone else in the tank...

I'll see if hubby will lend me some money to get a 'quick and dirty' QT set up. He knows about the fin rot, and wants to help, but won't want to spend much.

What's the approx cost comparison between the QT set up (keep in mind i will need another air pump, filter, heater and the container) and any medicines I can add to the whole tank?

Also, how long should I expect it to take to clear up?

4. Aquarist

Bubbly I've been looking over the photos and I'm not certain it's fin rot. For it to be as bad as it appears in the photo, I feel like it would have taken more than just two days. I would think you would have noticed it before now. Is the fish being picked on by anyone in the tank?

Are your chemistry readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate 0,0, under 20?

My best advice at this point is pristine water conditions, Garlic juice added to the food to boost the fish immune system, Vita Chem to add vitamins and to help aid in the fins new growth. In a lot of cases for fin rot, medicines aren't necessary. The Stress Guard or Nova Aqua +, something to add body slime to the fish will also help. (I've never used Stress Guard)

As to how long it will take to grow back I can't say. It may take a while. It looks like a good bit of damage has been done.

You have a lot of fish in there! :)

Let's see what other responses you receive.
    Ken

5. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Thanks Ken,

Yeah I know I'm overstocked. I am getting the 180G in two weeks, so the loaches will be going into their new home.
    I am suspicious they are the culprits of some fin nipping. They've been getting rather boisterous over the past week or so.

The water parameters are all spot on - 0,0,15. Can't ask for much better than that. Hopefully the garlic juice, stress guard and a lot more attention from me will help Shadow through the next two weeks till I can move the clowns (pun intended).

6. Aquarist

Keep us posted Bubbly.
    Get well soon wishes coming your way for Shadow! Whew! Glad to hear about the upgrade. lol I checked your Aquarium Profile Information and was hoping that was the case.
    Have a good weekend!
    Ken

7. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I agree with Ken. It looks too severe too fast for fin rot. I agree with the treatment advice he's given you to. I hope things work out for you & Shadow. i'll bet you can't wait to get the new tank.:)

8. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Thanks Nutter, it is good to have a second opinion, even if it's in agreement!
    The lights just came on and Shadow is looking perky as always. I wouldn't say his/her fin is looking any worse, but not any better either. Hopefully I'll see some improvement mid-week.

As for the new tank, 13 days and counting... ;) :party0001:

9. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

hes a hottie!!!!!! and love the loaches also...
    I also agree its not finrot...its a nipper.....the partial changes with some added stress coat and vita chem (if you can find it...if not, keep up with the fresh garlic juice) will do the trick..but if hes being nipped, ( I can see the gourami being a nipper too) the new tank will get him better!!!!! good luck!

10. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

lol thanks Shawnie! So you think Shadow is a male? I suspected female, purely from demeanor, as there is such a stark difference between Gandalf and Shadow.
    Unless you were being generic...

The loaches have not stopped playing since I changed everything around - it's amazing to watch 8 loaches tumble over one another again and again! I should post a vid in another thread...

I can't get vita chem in Australia, so I am just making sure they have a varied diet every day with garlic juice and the stress guard. Will post updates in a few days. Thanks for the help, and I'm glad it's not finrot!

11. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

I thought you might all like to see the improvement in Shadow over the last 9 days.

These photos were just taken. I did notice a large split between his fin 2 days ago, but that has promptly healed.

Thanks for the advice on treatment. Hopefully this won't occur anymore, as the countdown to the 180G and re-homing of his 'neighbors' will occur in 5 days!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  12. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Shadow looks much better. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice