Angelfish With Bloat HELP!

1. tfreema Well Known Member Member

I have a very bloated angelfish that is acting, looking, and eating normally otherwise. There is no sign of pine coning.

I moved him to a 10 gallon QT waited a day and fed a crushed up sweet pea. He spit out the first bite and refused to eat any more. I fed him some live baby brine shrimp which he gobbled up so I did that for a couple days and observed for any signs of poop. There was and still is none.

After 3 days in QT doing this, he was still bloated yesterday evening.

I decided to dose the aquarium with 2 tbsp Epsom salt and start him on metronidazole food yesterday evening. I fed medicated food again this morning. There is still no change today.

At what point do I need to do a water change to remove the Epsom salt? I could find plenty in dosing, but not how long to leave in tank.

Any other suggestions on how I can help this guy get cleaned out?

Thanks for your help!

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Have you tried fasting him for a day?
    bizaliz3!

3. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Yes. That is actually the first thing I did and just failed to mention.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What are the parameters in the main tank and in the QT? How old is he and how long have you had him? Any tank mates? What do you normally feed? How much and how often?

5. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Both tanks:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 10
    Ph 7.8

I have had him for a few months and he was about half grown when I got him so maybe a little under a year.... :-/

Tank mates in main 45g tank is a female angel and five cory cats. They were paired off and seemed to be on their way to breeding until he chewed half the tail off the female last week right after she laid the last batch of eggs.

I feed a pinch spiralina or tetra flakes alternately, 3-4 shrimp pellets, a pinch of new life spectrum pellets once a day and blood worms about once a week. Occasionally some English cucumber and zucchini.

6. tfreema Well Known Member Member

I really want to know how to handle the Epsom salt. It has been in the tank for 24 hours. Should I do water change to remove it now, tomorrow, or after how many days?

7. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I wish I could be of more assistance. My only experience with the salt is just salt baths. I never did the whole tank.

Tolak might be of some assistance....

8. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Can you tell me how you do the bath? This is the first time I have had to deal with bloat so I have not used Epsom salt before..........
    I may do a large water change, do the bath, fast for two days, then try peas again.

Good news is that I found a small amount of poop today and the fish is acting and eating normally with the only symptoms being a bulge in the stomach area and lack of poop.

Before fasting, I need to research how long I should continue the metro food before stopping it just in case this is due to parasites.

9. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

If i remember correctly i put a tablespoon of salt to a few gallons of water in a bucket and put my angel in there for 5 minutes and then put them back in the main tank.

Here's my thread for when I was trying to save my angel....maybe it will help? https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/showthread.php?t=225064

10. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Such a sad thing! So sorry you lost him like that. There was a lot of great information in the thread. More than my brain can handle lol. I wonder if mine starting fighting because something was wrong with him?

What I did glean was to feed the metro while he still has a good appetite and continue with the Epsom salt. I just need to decide if I continue to leave it in the tank or switch to baths. I cannot do 3 a day with my work schedule. I am also supplementing with bbs since I have plenty hatching for my cichlid fry. Live food is supposed to get the gut moving along better. Also, daily water changes so that makes 3 tanks getting 50% water changes every day.

I hope he is better soon.

Thanks again for all your help! The link was very helpful.

11. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm rooting for him!!!

12. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Thank you! Good news this morning is that he has some more very normal looking poop coming out so I am going to stick with the current treatment which is 50% daily pwc, add 1tbsp of Epsom salt to replenish, feed pinch of metronidazole flakes twice a day and live baby brine shrimp with the evening feeding.

13. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Ok, so I have been doing daily 50% water changes, replenishing Epsom salt, feeding metronidazole food and live baby brine shrimp in the 10g QT for the last week. The little guy has had minimal normal looking poop and is still really bloated. Otherwise, still looking and acting very healthy.

I need advice Tolak. I understand you are the angelfish expert.

I have general cure, maracyn two, and kanaplex that can treat the water. I also have some focus if I need to put it into food. As far as medicated food, other than the metro, I have oxytretracycline hydrochloride, fenbendazole, praziquantel, and kanamycin sulfate. I keep a wide variety on hand because I hated to lose a fish waiting on meds to arrive in the mail.

What would you recommend?
    Am I being too impatient with the current treatment or is it time to change it up?

14. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Epson salt treatment is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. If your LFS sells daphnia try some as it has a laxative effect on fish.

15. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Doesn't live baby brine shrimp have the same effect? My lfs does not sell daphnia. I would have to find online.

I added 2 tbsp originally and adding 1 tbsp to replenish each day with a 50% water change.

16. tfreema Well Known Member Member

So, the little guy still has a bloated stomach and is not pooping enough in comparison to other angelfish. There is some very normal, no stringy white or anything to indicate parasites so I switched over to an antibiotic for him. I may do two 50% back to back water changes to remove salt and try the Epsom salt baths instead over the three day weekend. I have only fed medicated flakes.

He is otherwise acting and eating normally and seems healthy. No pine coning, red streaks, etc. so I am bumfuzzled.

17. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

So Great to hear that he is improving!!

18. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Bumfuzzled???

19. tfreema Well Known Member Member

Lol! Just means confused and perplexed about what to do to get him better.

20. tfreema Well Known Member Member

The thing is, he is not improving. No better, no worse. I just don't know what to do to get rid of the bloat........ :-/