Angelfish With Betta? What’s Your Opinion? Question 

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I worked in private Lfs for 3 many yrs ago, at that time we had large tanks & large cichlids at our house(Red Devils, green terrors, oscars, convicts, etc.) now I got out of the hobby & restarted again about 8 yrs ago with Bettas. I picked Bettas because I didn’t want all the maintenance that comes with 55,75, 150 tanks ☹. So I’ve now went from betta bowl to 5 to 10 to 20 to 46 gallon. Long story short, I’ve keep my Bettas & also had gotten puffers, angels & discus, etc. since then. I have 46 gallon with female betta(cupcake), angels & discus. I love exotic Bettas, she was yellow- turned opaque/red on me. Now cupcake was ok with a few angels & more fish I added, the more cupcake hides. Moved them all to 46, added more fish- angel & discus tank & cupcakes like heck no. She mainly hides in bushy plant I have in their. They’ve never tried to eat her, but the angels were dime size when they were first introduced together in 20g. Now the angels & discus are huge compared to her and she mainly hides. I really don’t want to set up another tank just for a betta.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's usually not a good idea to mix betta with cichlids. If you don't have a backup tank nor do not want to set up another tank, then you should rehome the betta or the other fish.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do have empty 5, 20 tanks, I just don’t want to bite off more than I can chew, lol. I have another runing 10 gallon in my daughter’s room, but I think that’s overstocked as it is- 1 bristlenose, 2 mollies, 2 Cory’s, 3 rasboras, 1 black skirt tetra. Maybe I can move them around between the 2 tanks. But I hesitate to do that, only because of these discus. I’ve raised them from 1- 1 1/2 inch discus- did preventative on all angels & discus and their doing really well over last 4 months. Nobody’s sick, eat well, chunky and content. You get to messing with their environment & they may get sick. Plus I buffer the discus/angel tank to 7ph & it’s 84-86•. 10 gallon not buffered/ 78-80•. Don’t know if Cory’s can stand that heat. Only fish I’ve moved around before was bristlenose pleco, but he is straight up pooping machine, lol. As these guys get bigger, I’ll buy 65 tall tank & sell 46 tank. The Bettas not sickly, just hides al the time. I know I’m have to do something with betta. Just not sure what yet?

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Elaborate- 2 discus I’ve had 4 months, other 2 1 month.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
1. Your angel or discus might harass the betta to the point that she's not coming out and explore. This may happen when you're not there.

2. I typically don't like to mix angels and discus in the same tank, mainly because of competition. The angels may outcompete the discus for food or may show aggression towards the discus.

3. The 10 gallon that you mentioned is indeed overstocked and it's too small for most of the species that you mentioned. If you're going to house these species, then you're going to need a large aquarium, mainly a 29 or 30 gallon.

4. Lastly, the fish that you mentioned in your daughter's tank do best in a group of 6+. The corydoras, rasboras, and tetras need to be in a group in order for the fish to feel comfortable.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crispii said:
1. Your angel or discus might harass the betta to the point that she's not coming out and explore. This may happen when you're not there.

1a. You may be right about that, it’s possible, this is why I think the betta’s hiding. I think she scared of them all now they got so big. I’m definitely going to have to move her☹.

2. I typically don't like to mix angels and discus in the same tank, mainly because of competition. The angels may outcompete the discus for food or may show aggression towards the discus.

2b. That’s your personal preference. I asked about Bettas. I don’t have problems with my angels & discus together. If anybody’s aggressive, My discus are the aggressors, not the angels. All my fish are chunky, borderline fat. Naturally in Amazon rivers, Discus swim with other fish- uarus, Altum angelfish, flag cichlids, etc. I personally don’t want only one color or one type of fish in my tanks.

3. The 10 gallon that you mentioned is indeed overstocked and it's too small for most of the species that you mentioned. If you're going to house these species, then you're going to need a large aquarium, mainly a 29 or 30 gallon.

3c. Yes, your correct, I said it was overstocked. But I’ve done multiple large tanks many yrs ago. Been their, done that. Personally, I’m not breeding, these are my pets, and now I’m older I want my tanks tasteful & to accent my home, Not tanks to takeover my home since I downsized my home. I keep my fish comfortably by upgrading the tank when I feel their big enough & getting rid of old tank. I’ve even ordered fish from overseas b4, and I’ve had tanks custom built b4.

4. Lastly, the fish that you mentioned in your daughter's tank do best in a group of 6+. The corydoras, rasboras, and tetras need to be in a group in order for the fish to feel comfortable.
4d. My BST is from 2014, the others passed from old age, sorry I have 3 Cory’s from 2018-exchange for mean GSP i had bought, the rasboras I just recently bought in 19 for big tank- that didn’t work out. The mollies are from brackish pufferfish tank 2014 & GSP passed last yr. bristlenose was from angel/discus tank. These fish are left from different tanks I had going in the past, at one time 5 different tanks. I currently have 2 tanks running. My BST looks elderly at this point, but he’s fat & content- so I let him be. I would stress some of these fish adding young ones of their species, if it ain’t broken, I don’t fix it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom