Angelfish Virus

1. dark horse

dark horse Initiate Member

If you lose your angelfish to the dreaded angelfish virus, how do you go about starting over with more angelfish? Do you just wait awhile before adding more (no angelfish, no host) or do you have to tear down the tank (which is awful if you have other fish in there)? Thank you.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, sorry to hear you've had a problem, hope our members can help answer your questions today

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

The angelfish virus was awful ten years ago. It made angels scarce in stores for a couple of years. But I thought it was largely played out - an epidemic that came and went.
    What makes you think it hit your fish? It would be terrible if that one got loose again.

4. OP
    OP
    dark horse

I could certainly be wrong. I thought that's what I'm seeing at pet stores when they have angels with clamped fins, whitefish body slime and their noise pointed in the air near the surface. Is that something else? My guy is clamping only one fin (not constantly, but often enough) looks like he is developing a bit of film and is spending more time near the surface with his nose pointed upwards. He is still eating and will at times act completely normal. I added a few juvenile angels a month ago - they are perfectly fine. My water parameters are normal and I keep my temp at 80. If not the virus, any idea as to what it may be and how to treat it? Thank you very much.

5. OP
    OP
    dark horse

One more thing I noticed about my angel last night, it was trying to rub himself on my thermometer that is suctioned to the side of my tank. It's never done that before.

6. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

That sounds like velvet or a similar dinoflagellate skin parasite. They are always around, and take advantage of crowding and overfeeding in soft water tanks. You get a greyish film on the skin of the fish. If you shine a light, and it is classic velvet/oodinium sp, you will see a brownish or coppery shine behind the head of the fish, along the back.

Does that sound like what you see?

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Or a protozoa like Ichthyobodo, Trichodina or Chilodonella (slimy mucus)

8. OP
    OP
    dark horse

Thanks for your help. I will read about your suggestions. I no longer think it's the angelfish virus.