Angelfish Upside Down At Bottom Of Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by smellslikechaos, Jul 30, 2017.

1. smellslikechaos

smellslikechaos Valued Member Member

I recently bought 4 angelfish and they, as well as the one I already had, all looked stressed yesterday and slightly better today except for the big one which is now at the bottom, nose to the ground. The water is conditioned, the parameters are fine, and all the other fish in the community look perfectly happy. I suspected that they were sick when I bought them, but the other 3 are ok. The angel in question swam around sideways for a minute then righted himself and almost looked normal and then went back to nose-on-the-bottom. What's going on?

644bd3e03451d375b5e34d1dbdcaeb0c.jpg

I forgot to mention, he has also been opening and closing his mouth ever since I got him and he never hid in the corner with the rest of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2017
  2. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

This behavior indicates a problem with swim-bladder. The swim-bladder gets compressed from the fish overeating, eating to fast, or gulping air. Also, less often, parasites and bacteria can inflame the swim-bladder.
    Did the fish immediately act this way when you introduced him to the tank or did he act this way after feeding?

3. OP
    OP
    smellslikechaos

This just began today, and I've had him about 3 days now. However, he has been gulping for air even since I got him. How can I treat this?

Edit: and he has not eaten while being in my tank, he's been stressed the entire time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2017
  4. D

Well, there really isn't enough information to tell which cause it is- we only have a symptom.
    Do you have a hospital tank?

5. OP
    OP
    smellslikechaos

No, I don't. I'm sure if I needed to, I could set one up though. Do you think there's any chance he will get better on his own?

6. D

You must treat by elimination:
    Put Angelfish in hospital tank with water temperature at 80 degrees. Make sure have air-stone. Do an Epsom salt bath. Add 1/2-1 tsp. of Epsom salt per 10 gallons of water. Change 50% of water daily- for two to three days. Adding back Epsom salt for that taken out from water change. This will help to reduce the swelling that has accumulated in the abdomen.
    If after 2 days the fish is still expressing symptoms:
    Treat with an antibiotic-. Kanamycin sulfate. Kanamycin is the active ingredient ( Seachem Kanaplex is an option), but I like to use 100% kanamycin powder from angelsplus.com.
    I doubt the fish will recover on its own.

7. D

I forgot to add: Dont feed for three days in case the fish is experiencing constipation that he had before you got him. If this is the case, the Epsom salt will work as a laxative to clean him out.
    The only thing you could try feeding him is a blanched de-shelled pea- which will also work as a laxative.

8. OP
    OP
    smellslikechaos

Okay, thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice