Angelfish types

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can anyone list and give pics of all the different types(color varieties) of angelfish? I would like to try and id my new one. I know that Angel is a mix between a koi and a marble angel.
Tom

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You want ones that havnt been posted here? Like the marbles/koi?

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Tom
I think that would be a great idea. If it were to be a list with photos of each of the types of angelfish that was pasted to the top of the angelfish species specific catagory it would make ID'ing an angelfish that much easier for all. ;D

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sabi said:
You want ones that havnt been posted here? Like the marbles/koi?
I want it with a pic and then the variety right beside it. The pics are in a list format.
Tom

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know a great little (and very cheap) book that describes in detail all about Angelfish, including all varieties of Angels:

This is a good website too:

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella said:
I know a great little (and very cheap) book that describes in detail all about Angelfish, including all varieties of Angels:

This is a good website too:
Thanks, I have seen the book in stores and never thought to look in it. The website doesn't have the kinds that I am looking for though. Thanks anyways, I am going to the store tomorrow and I will see if they have it there.
Tom

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Sabi
here are three photos of my angelfish. The marble I know... but is the one in the first photo called an altum? Third photo is a little blurry.
thanks, kate

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could be, but i'd say it liiks more like this:

Silver Angle
95.jpg

Half Black
clear.gif

Or maybe a mix btwnthe 2. cant say for sure....

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I dont think that mine looks like either of those photos. The fins are different, and I really dont think that mine is a half black. I think it looks just like the Altum that was in your earlier post. ;D Are those your fish in this last post?

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No unfortunately not!
I have a black and 2 golden marbles?.

Why i said it looks more like a silver is because yours has the same dark stripe at the back and the faint strip by the eye like the silver. While, the altum has full stripes vertically across its body.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ummmmm.. I see what you mean. I see its veritcal stripes come out clearer from time to time, and at stress times, it pales out. Guess will just have to wait and see as it matures what it is. Olie, the striped one is about.. 6 inches tall from tip of its top fin to tip of its bottom fin. Its body size is three inches tall. Wonder if its near its maturity already? The marble ( Stan) is about 5 inches from tip to tip and almost 3 inches in body size.
~ kate

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love the golden.. it looks like the koi angel, which is another I like alot. ;D

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep it does! Mine (Survivor) has less orange though, just a little bit.

capekate said:
ummmmm.. I see what you mean. I see its veritcal stripes come out clearer from time to time, and at stress times, it pales out. Guess will just have to wait and see as it matures what it is. Olie, the striped one is about.. 6 inches tall from tip of its top fin to tip of its bottom fin. Its body size is three inches tall. Wonder if its near its maturity already? The marble ( Stan) is about 5 inches from tip to tip and almost 3 inches in body size.
~ kate
Yes i was just thinking that maybe only when they become mature then only the stripes get bolder...

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Isabella
I agree with you... those true all black angels are gorgeous! I saw a few at my LFS once and really thought they were very striking. But didnt want to get another with the two angels that I have.... Ohhh wellll.... But maybe someday if I were to add another angel fish, it would be the black.... or the koi lol.

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yip He's really gorgeous! Well i content myself with Fire-head as he only has a little bit of white in him! lol!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Allie said:
Tom said:
Can anyone list and give pics of all the different types(color varieties) of angelfish? I would like to try and id my new one. I know that Angel is a mix between a koi and a marble angel.
Tom
Here is the link that has all the phenotypes of angelfish...lots of pix to compare to.
http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/phenotype_library_2007/
Great thanks, I was able to find out that I have a golden marble angel(Angel), and I had a wild angel(Altum). I had no idea Altum was a wild type, if you don't believe me, take a look at this;
118.jpg

and Altum is down below. I am still trying to ID Stanley.
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think Stanley is a chocolate ghost angel.
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom