Angelfish types 2016

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The sticky on here with the different types of angelfish is pretty old, its missing a lot of kinds, and there are some inaccuracies. So I wanted to make a new one with a bigger variety and more accuracy. (to the best of my ability anyway) I don't have my own personal pictures of several of these types so.....the ones with links above the photo are NOT my angels. If there is not a link above the photo that means it's my angel :) **edit I discovered when viewing in the app, the links show up as the actual photo....so to avoid confusion I noted which ones are mine**

One thing I will say is that many angelfish today are just hybrids of all different types of angels. Sometimes trying to "guess" what an angelfish "type" is, is similar to getting a stray mutt and making your "best guess" based on appearance as to what mix of species the dog might be. With that being said, I think true purebred angels are pretty rare these days. Lots of mixed genes going on.

First the standard silver angelfish. It will have 3 vertical stripes (that come and go based on mood) including one over the eye. Here's my big silver guy when he was a new dad

The standard silver looks very similar to the wild "Altum angelfish" Which is a species that is wild (obviously) and much larger than the standard silver, as well as much more expensive and much more aggressive!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hy7XzqWal9g/U762cQHFkPI/AAAAAAAADTI/Mlzacgssql8/s1600/pterophyllum-altum.jpg
91bb343143623b4ed13ca40ed1ebb48e.jpg

Now for the Zebra angelfish....looks very similar to the standard silver as well, the difference is it has more than 3 stripes (typically 4-6 stripes)
http://fishsabby.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/rsz_zebra-angelfish-photo.jpg
b3661c911bcb0f4a00bdc7aeec1a5ec8.jpg

Gold angel (also has pearlscale)*mine

Marble angel *mine

gold marble angel *mine

Koi angel *mine

Platinum angel (also has pearlscale) *mine

Black Lace angel *mine

Smokey angel *mine

Chocolate angel *mine

Albino angel (also has pearlscale gene) *mine

Phillipine blue angel *mine

Blue marble angel *mine

Pinoy angel *mine

Blue smokey angel (also has pearlscale) *mine

Black angel

Half black angel

Blushing angel
http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/phenotype_library_2007/images/blush1.jpg

Ghost angel
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/41/6d/f8/416df8dbb63cddf9dabab9fe49e941f4.jpg

Clown angel
http://theangelfishsociety.org/articles/norton/images/nor67.jpg

Leopard angel
http://www.aboutangelfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/leopard-angelfish-photo.jpg

Feel free to add any photos of types I don't have!!!!! Or add names of types I didn't name!!! Hybrids included!

Thanks all!!!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are also different variations of finnage on angels.
There is standard fin, veil tail and super veil tail.

Standard fin is obvious...

Here is my beautiful black marble veil tail and a platinum veil tail
and here is a gold marble SUPER veil tail (research tells me it is a comb-tail veil tail to be exact)

Here's the pic of the veil tail and super veil tail
And I covered the awesome pearlscale trait on the previous post by including a few pearlscales in the mix. :) The pearlscales, sometimes referred to as "diamond", give the fish a bumpy tin foil-y looking appearance. I am obsessed with pearlscale!!

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good job, this is going to be a fun thread to follow. Are they mostly your angels? Alison

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
aliray said:
Good job, this is going to be a fun thread to follow. Are they mostly your angels? Alison
Many of them are mine! I had to add links for the ones that are not mine of course!

If any of you folks on fishlore have your own angel that is another type I am missing...please post it!

OR...if you have an angelfish "mutt" and you want to try and figure out what the mix might be, post that too and we'll see if we can narrow it down! LOL

MustangMan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This makes me want angels again. I am just not ready, nor setup for them. Maybe I should start planning now.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Great info and I will never tire of seeing pictures of your beautiful angels! Nice job!

hacksgirls

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your fish are gorgeous!!!! I miss my angel so much. She bit me every time I put my arm in the tank though! Lol!!

Jaredmaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here is my platinum blue philie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

My veil blue philie and his buddy

I suck at taking pics heres a closeup on this guy

Attachments

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
1913.jpg

Dark Cross (parents are DD Black Pearlscale and Manacapuru Bulgarian Green cross)

1914.jpg

Gold Marble Ghost

1915.jpg

Ghost

1916.jpg

Manacapuru Bulgarian Green type (bg is one of the newest color strains currently under study by The Angelfish Society.

1917.jpg

Zebra

Jamieson22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is a fantastic thread, thanks!

I was hesitant to even get an angelfish for some reason. In my mind they were so "common". Now I have 2 (gold veil and blue veil) and want to add 2 more. I love them. They have such personality and are beautiful in tank. Mine are also hogs following me anytime I am near tank wanting food

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish shown as a Bulgarian green in this tread is in fact a silver. Greens look very different from that fish.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
slayer5590 said:
The fish shown as a Bulgarian green in this tread is in fact a silver. Greens look very different from that fish.
That is an offspring from a friend that is working with the Bulgarian Green gene.

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AlyeskaGirl said:
That is an offspring from a friend that is working with the Bulgarian Green gene.
That may be so but the fish you posted is not a Bulgarian green. I hope your friend is successful in his/her project the greens are some of the most beautiful angels out there.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Thats because no one else is breeding the type I have. It is actually a Manacapuru Bulgarian Green.

Everyone thinks of the Seal Points when they hear Bulgarian Green.

WendyC

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gorgeous Angels I am cycling my biggest tank yet and plan on having Angel's. Someone gave me a 75gal reef tank with stand pre-plumbed. For now, it's freshwater. Not using a sump or anything yet. It's definitely tall enough for Angels. Getting my plants in today!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom