Angelfish Terrorizing Rummynose Tetras

LDOEBOY21

So put fish in my tank a couple of days ago and I have a veil angelfish that acted like he doesn't want to eat. He goes for the food and then backs ups from it. The fish all got along until this morning and my angelfish is chasing my rummynose around the tank non-stop trying to nip at them. HELP PLEASE!!!

stacey_evans96

Is your angelfish pregnant?

Books&Fish

What size is the tank?
Is it cycled?
How were the fish acclimated?
Do you have plants/decorations in the tank to break up territories?
How many rummynose do you have?
How many angels?
What is your total stock, essentially?
What is the temperature?

LDOEBOY21

I have a 56G tall. I believe it was cycled. I was reading 0 ammonia and nitrites and about 20 nitrates when I put the fish in. 1 angel 1 blue gourami 8 rummynose and BN pleco. I some kinda tall plants and also a big pirate ship with holes and an open inside. Plus a piece of driftwood.

Books&Fish

Hmm. Did you get your fish locally or ordered? How did you acclimate them?
It could be a personality mis-match. It could be acclimation to the water's hardness/Ph.

Castiel*

Is your angelfish pregnant?
Angels are egg layers, not live bearers, and would need a pair for them to usually get aggressive once the eggs were laid.

LDOEBOY21

I am reading about .25 ammonia and some nitrites and still have 20 nitrates so I been doing daily PWC to try to get levels back down.

Books&Fish

The aggression could be the ammonia and nitrites. They are toxic and painful. If you just stocked and cycled a new tank, do a water change large enough to remove those ammonia and nitrite readings and dump in some TSS+ to be safe. If it's been running for a while, a water change should remove them, and maybe overfeeding caused the spike?
How many fish did you add at once?
Did you quarantine them first?

LDOEBOY21

They been fine the past week It just started this morning. I'm was wondering if it was because he's Hungary because like I said the angelfish acts like he wants to eat but doesn't. Just goes up to it and then backs up. And I bought the fish local. All from same store except BN pleco.

Books&Fish

It sounds like there may be something wrong with the angel itself. What are you feeding them?

LDOEBOY21

Tetra tropical flakes.

Books&Fish

Try frozen or live food. Your angel may be very hungry and not like the flakes. Frozen brine shrimp is a great option, and usually $5. Lasts a while. For the best nutrition, a variety is best. Shrimp pellets, algae wafers (especially for your pleco), flakes, and frozen/live foods. I even feed fresh cucumber slices once a week. A few people here feed cooked egg yolks. You may have to offer several things to get your angel to eat before he/she starves or eats the other tankmates.

LDOEBOY21

Cool I will try that. I have algae wagers for my pleco. And was going to give him a cucumber this weekend. And also my blue gourami is s pig lol. Any suggestions how to feed just the angel some of that other stuff. They don't fight but the gourami def tries to eat all the food.

Aquaphobia

Can you tell us more about your setup? Tank size, parameters, full stock list, and decor?

KinsKicks

Hello!

Angelfish are extremely terretorial, and depending on the amount of foliage in your tank, he is being highly aggressive about it. The only issue with having a school, is that they do swim back and forth, and thus go into their territory. What is your complete stock and how planted are you?

Edit: also the suggestions made by aquaphobia, beat me to it

LDOEBOY21

I have a 56G tall. I believe it was cycled. I was reading 0 and nitrites and about 20 nitrates when I put the fish in. 1 angel 1 blue gourami 8 rummynose and BN pleco. I somekinda tall plants and also a big pirate ship with holes and an open inside. Plus a piece of driftwood.

kayla.s

Do you only have one angelfish? I had one angelfish for about 3 months and when I decided to introduce another, he also was constantly nipping at the new angelfish. The new one was very calm and just wanted to swim along side the other, like it had done I the pet store. I think the problem was that the first one I had was alone in the tank for so long that it was used to being alone and couldn't understand why this fish was constantly trying to follow him. To fix this issue, I took him out the tank and put him in another for a day or two then put him back with the other fish. Because he now felt new in the tank, he wouldn't bully the other anymore. Since then he hasn't tried to bully any other fish I've put I the tank

dartzy

Cucumber on a long pair of tweezers......?

LDOEBOY21

Do you only have one angelfish? I had one angelfish for about 3 months and when I decided to introduce another, he also was constantly nipping at the new angelfish. The new one was very calm and just wanted to swim along side the other, like it had done I the pet store. I think the problem was that the first one I had was alone in the tank for so long that it was used to being alone and couldn't understand why this fish was constantly trying to follow him. To fix this issue, I took him out the tank and put him in another for a day or two then put him back with the other fish. Because he now felt new in the tank, he wouldn't bully the other anymore. Since then he hasn't tried to bully any other fish I've put I the tank

That sounds like a good idea and yes I only have 1 angelfish right now. But wanted another one.

kayla.s

Give it a shot and see if it comes right after a day or two! goodluck

Books&Fish

Whatever the gourami likes best, give it to him first. When he's occupied, then give the angel his food. Any time the gourami comes back, put some favorites on the other side of the tank. You have to play games with them sometimes. Others will try feeding with a turkey baster, and putting right in front of the angel's face, while occupying the gourami with other food.

Shannah

Maybe try some freeze dried bloodworms! My angels (and all the other fish in the tank) go crazy over bloodworms! Omega One is my favorite brand!

Also, as far as the feeding problem and the gourami taking all the food, just put the food in a couple of different places! And try to put it closest to the angel, I sometimes drop mine right in front of them so they can get to it quickly!

LDOEBOY21

Give it a shot and see if it comes right after a day or two! goodluck
Thanks.

Hello!

Angelfish are extremely terretorial, and depending on the amount of foliage in your tank, he is being highly aggressive about it. The only issue with having a school, is that they do swim back and forth, and thus go into their territory. What is your complete stock and how planted are you?

Edit: also the suggestions made by aquaphobia, beat me to it

I have some plants and I have 1 angelfish 1 blue gourami 8 rummy nose and 1 BN pleco so far.

Shortfuuzze

You could also try some taller plants in the tank. Break up line of site between the fish. You may not see aggression but it could be happening. Aggression = stress = odd behavior

LDOEBOY21

Wh
You could also try some taller plants in the tank. Break up line of site between the fish. You may not see aggression but it could be happening. Aggression = stress = odd behavior

I was thinking of some floating plants to add some cover near the top.

Maybe try some freeze dried bloodworms! My angels (and all the other fish in the tank) go crazy over bloodworms! Omega One is my favorite brand!

Also, as far as the feeding problem and the gourami taking all the food, just put the food in a couple of different places! And try to put it closest to the angel, I sometimes drop mine right in front of them so they can get to it quickly!

Bloodworms seemed to do the trick!!! I got some frozen ones and the tank went crazy over them lol. Except for the blue gourami suprisingly. Guess he likes the flakes better. My angelfish doesn't seem to be chasing the rummy nose anymore. He was just chilling when I got home. Then I dropped the bloodworms in and my angelfish went to town Thanks for the advice everyone.

Drynn

is it cycled?

Shannah

Yay!! So happy for you & your fish! That is surprising the blue gourami didn't care for it, mine absolutely loves it! Especially when I soak them in garlic juice. My angelfish also chases a couple of the fish in my tank, so I don't think that's uncommon. As long as no one is nipping, you shouldn't worry! Chasing will happen though, just make sure the other fish aren't getting stressed and you'll be golden!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
BWIT
Replies
Views
Joseph28
Replies
Views