Angelfish Tank setup

1. asan0623

asan0623 Valued Member Member

I am looking for ideas for my 55gal tank. I want angelfish to be my main fish I'm looking at sites trying to figure out tank mates. I'm using this site for ideas http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php ( south American or central American themes) I have a few good LFS that will order for me almost anything ( north east) just wanted to get everyone opinions.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I keep my angelfish with keyhole cichlids, glowlight tetras, gold tetras, and albino cories in my 55 gal.

3. OP
    OP
    asan0623

Thank you.

4. f

fishchick Valued Member Member

5. Charles556

Charles556 Valued Member Member

Not in a 55; it's too small. Discus require at least 5-6 individuals, and if he wanted to throw angelfish into the mix, asan's tank would be overstocked.

However, with a large enough tank, it is doable. I dream of the day when I can set up a 1,000 gal, heavily planted discus and fancy angelfish tank. It'd be glorious :D

In my Angelfish tank, I keep my silver pair with my African butterfly cichlid pair, green C. aeneus, SA bumblebee cats, and black neon tetras, which just spawned this morning after I moved them into the tank. Maybe the angelfish scared the eggs out of them :)

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Harlequin rasboras, cories, bn pleco...those are some that I have kept with my angels. There are many options! :) what kind of fish have you been keeping your eyes on?

7. OP
    OP
    asan0623

Rams and lemon tetras what do you think. Yea all I see is different combinations of fish with the angel. Or maybe I should think about the angel as a secondary fish and maybe go with another fish as the main. What y'all think

8. L

Lemlat Valued Member Member

I have an electric blue ram, sterbai corys, rummynose tetras and a bn pleco with my pair of blue angels

9. OP
    OP
    asan0623

How's everyone getting along?

10. L

They get along well. Maybe because my tank is heavily planted

11. OP
    OP
    asan0623

Oh ok nice. I want to put plants in my tank any suggestions?

12. L

13. TexasDomer

What kind of lighting do you have?

I have multiple species of Hygrophila, crypts, corkscrew vals, swords, and Anubias with my angels.

14. S

SteveMc New Member Member

I have a pair of Angels in my tank with two Bolivian Rams, a BN pleco, 6 dwarf rainbowfish and 3 Panda corys. All get along great, no issues whatsoever. Also fairly heavily planted (Anubia, crypts and sagittaria).

15. OP
    OP
    asan0623

current usa satellite freshwater led light aquarium

16. TexasDomer

You should be okay with most all low light plants then.

What about H. difformis, vals, crypts, Anubias, Java fern, and swords?

17. JFreshwater

JFreshwater Valued Member Member

You mentioned wanting to possibly keep it south american/central american themed. I'm in the process of shifting towards completely south american tanks - I have all SA fish, but I have a ton of plants that are not SA. If you even think it's possible you want to have a SA themed tank in the future, consider planning for it now.

Also, about keeping rams with the angels - I personally like to keep angels and rams in pairs or like 4-5+. Reason being that I feel bad for keeping a single cichlid, they are social fish and I assume are happier if they have interactions with their own species. A pair of angels and a pair of rams can work in a planted 55 with adequate cover, though there is the chance of chasing/aggression. Depends on the fish and if they lay eggs.

If you want tetras and/or corys with them, just research and make sure they prefer warmer temps. With angels and rams I'd go with 80-82 F. Cardinals, rummies, and lemons are good choices.

18. Angels4

Angels4 Valued Member Member

My Angels share their tank with German Blue Rams and electric blue Rams .

19. OP
    OP
    asan0623

All great suggestions I will check with my LFS to see which they carry. Thank you!

20. OP
    OP
    asan0623

I seen that combination in other people's post. I love the way they move together I might go that way.