Question Angelfish tank mates

Srikrishna

Reaction score
Hello,

I have two Silver Angels in my tank. Initially they used to fight a lot, but later I got to know that they both were females and both paired up and layed eggs . I don’t have a male to fertilise them.
Now I was thinking about adding a bunch of Tetras or Zebra Danios( as it’s very affordable here) or Live Bearers with them. As I know that angelfish are aggressive at the time of laying eggs, and as my angels lay their eggs every 15 days once, is it safe to add tankmates?

Also wanted to know how long will the fish lay eggs like this even without a male in tank?

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Angels and Zebra Danios should not be in the same tank because of their water temperature differences.

Angels need warmer water in the upper 70's to low 80's.
Danios need cooler water from the 60's to the lower 70's.

There are lots of other schooling fish you can get that are temperature compatible with the Angels. Cardinal Tetras are a good choice.

OP
Srikrishna

Srikrishna

Reaction score
Utar said:
Angels and Zebra Danios should not be in the same tank because of their water temperature differences.

Angels need warmer water in the upper 70's to low 80's.
Danios need cooler water from the 60's to the lower 70's.

There are lots of other schooling fish you can get that are temperature compatible with the Angels. Cardinal Tetras are a good choice.
Hello Utar,
Thank you for the response,
But what ever the tank mates are, is it safe to keep them when the fishes are laying eggs very frequently?
And according to you will they keep laying eggs for a long period even without males?

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wished I could answer your question about Angel Fish laying eggs, but hopefully someone with come along that can. I think a lot of what you want for your Angels tank mates will depend on the size of tank you have. If they are very aggressive at this time while laying eggs than maybe your should think about not adding tank mates until they settle down.

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Srikrishna said:
Hello,

I have two Silver Angels in my tank. Initially they used to fight a lot, but later I got to know that they both were females and both paired up and layed eggs . I don’t have a male to fertilise them.
Now I was thinking about adding a bunch of Tetras or Zebra Danios( as it’s very affordable here) or Live Bearers with them. As I know that angelfish are aggressive at the time of laying eggs, and as my angels lay their eggs every 15 days once, is it safe to add tankmates?

Also wanted to know how long will the fish lay eggs like this even without a male in tank?
how big is the tank? That is a big factor in keeping angels, especially if they're laying eggs. In my 37 gallon they terrorized everything except my bottom dwellers. When I upgraded to a 55 they ran into the other fish less often and mostly kept to their half, so I was able to add a greater amount of tankmates.

OP
Srikrishna

Srikrishna

Reaction score
Madchild57 said:
how big is the tank? That is a big factor in keeping angels, especially if they're laying eggs. In my 37 gallon they terrorized everything except my bottom dwellers. When I upgraded to a 55 they ran into the other fish less often and mostly kept to their half, so I was able to add a greater amount of tankmates.
Thank you,
I have a 35 gallon tank and angels seams to be territorial while they are spawning. I had an instance where I had to remove one angelfish which was very small when these two females had paired up and spawned together. But this happens only when they are spawning. I wish I had a male angelfish

OP
Srikrishna

Srikrishna

Reaction score
RedGallant said:
What kind of tetras are you thinking of? I'm thinking cory cats would make good companions with angelfish.
Hello RedGallant,
Sorry but I haven’t decided what tank mates should I get. I am extremely open to all suggestions about what tank mated should I add. Still in the process of knowing whether it is safe to add tank mates as two females have paired up and also wanted to know whether they would stop laying eggs when they realise that there is no male fish in tank. If I had a male then I would have never thought of tank mates as I would have fry’s in the tank...

RedGallant

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Srikrishna said:
Hello RedGallant,
Sorry but I haven’t decided what tank mates should I get. I am extremely open to all suggestions about what tank mated should I add. Still in the process of knowing whether it is safe to add tank mates as two females have paired up and also wanted to know whether they would stop laying eggs when they realise that there is no male fish in tank. If I had a male then I would have never thought of tank mates as I would have fry’s in the tank...
Are there many plants or driftwood or anything in there?

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 35g tank its really pushing it for size with two angels already in it. You could probably get away with a school of tetras. I'd avoid neons but you cold probably do cardinals and be okay. If it were me I'd heavily plant it and put diamond tetras in! My angels never really bothered my bottom feeders. So BN pleco would be fine or maybe some panda cory cats.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom