Angelfish Tank Mates That Are Not Tetras

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by oOturquoiseOo, Jul 19, 2017.

1. oOturquoiseOo

oOturquoiseOoWell Known MemberMember

This big guy needs a friend, or 10. Haha!

Are there any tankmates for him that aren't the usual tetra/tetra type fish?

I would like bright, active fish. I don't really want rams.

There will be kuhli loaches as well.

What do you think?

Oops! Forgot to add it's a 60 gallon planted tank with a fluval 406 and a sponge filter. Temp is currently 77 F. Working on the pH to be about 7.2.

Attached Files:

2. Samuel97

Samuel97Well Known MemberMember

Cherry barbs are a great option as long as you buy them at least half grown. Once illy grown they are without question big and full enough and also they have a stockier and more confident personality so are less likely to be bullied by the angel, they are also super fast.

I have a school of cherries right now and am intending to add an angelfish.

Your angel looks awesome!

3. MommaLake

MommaLakeWell Known MemberMember

I'd add an electric blue acara and some swordtails (1:2 m:f). That would give you lots of color.

4. davis

davisValued MemberMember

My angelfish pair bullied everything finally tried convicts because they were cheap three for a dollar. They have made the tank interesting pushing the angelfish to the other end of the tank when they had fry they did not eat the fry like I hoped. I had to rehome the male convict to let the angelfish be king again may or will have to many convict fry when they grow up but till then enjoying the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

I would love an eba :) Sword tails are like mollies, right? Would the other fish eat the babies?

I only have one, thankfully, not a pair. He seems to be pretty peaceful. Hopefully he won't be too much of a bully.

6. MommaLake

Yes swordtails are live bearers like mollies. They're big enough to hold their own but peaceful. The angel and EBA would keep your swordtail population in check

Just a suggestion, if you don't already have the kuhlis id get cories instead. Kuhlis are cute but I have some and they hide all the time. I rarely get to see them. But if your heart is set on kuhlis then you must follow your heart

7. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

Perfect! Thank you :) I think this might be the plan :)

8. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

And I would up the temperature to 78 f.

9. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

Just noticed the part about the loaches. I have one currently. I would like to get him some friends. He came with the angelfish as rehomed fish from a kindergarten class.

Will do.

How about the angel, an eba, 3 sailfin mollies (1:2 or 4 - 1:3), 6-8 loaches, and a clown pleco? Too much?

10. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

How about
    1 EBA
    1 Angelfish
    2 GBRs(1 Male 1 Female)
    16 Dwarf Pencilfish
    16 Kuhli Loaches or 12 Sterbai or Bronze Cories
    5 Swordtails(1 Male 4 Females) or 5 Mollies(1 Male 4 Females)(Sailfins are fine)
    Temp.-78'F
    Edit: A Clown Pleco would be fine in this stock also.

11. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

I totally meant 4 or 5 mollies 1:3 or 1:4. The heatwave here is frying my brain.

That list sounds good! Thanks :)

12. Lance0414

If you do Sailfin Mollies i would recommend only 1 Male as Sailfin Males fight for territory and i figured that out the hard way. Just a Heads up.

13. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

Definitely only 1 male and either 3 or 4 females, probably 3. :)

14. Lance0414

That would be good. Good Luck!

15. MommaLake

That sounds awesome. I'd love to see pics when you're done

16. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

Thanks! It's definitely going to be a little while before it's all done. But I can't wait. :) I'll share pictures for sure. I started a build thread so I'll probably just keep updating that one. I'm planning a big rescape as well. :)

I think I'll add the loaches first and then the eba and then finally the mollies. How does that sound?

17. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

I was thinking mabee a few shell dwelling cichlids. I'm not sure if there temperature compatible tho.

18. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

I'm not sure either. I'll have to look it up. :)

19. Lance0414

I would do the fish(in this order)-Loaches, Pencilfish, Pleco, Mollies, EBA, Angelfish, GBRs.

20. xapoc

xapocValued MemberMember

Dwarf gouramis, they are beautiful and hardy, I have 3 with 2 of my angles, will get more some day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice