Angelfish swollen lips?

dnatek

Hello - just reaching out to the community for some input. Please see the included photo of my Angelfish and pay special attention to their lips. Is this normal or some sort of disease that I'm unaware of? I've had 3 Angelfish in a 39 gallon tank for the last year, since they were the size of dimes, now they are about 1.5" across their body and their fins are about 9" long. The entire time I've owned them, they've had these swollen lips. So the fact that they are > 1 year old, have grown tremendously in size and none of the other tankmates exhibit this problem (2 guppies, corydoras, 3 x amano shrimp), would indicate that it is a disease. However, one of the 3 Angelfish seems near death (not shown) and so the whole lip thing seems like a culprit. I searched through Google images of Angelfish and none seem to have these swollen lips. Normal water parameters, water changes, adequate filtering, etc. but let me know if you want any details for diagnosis. Thanks!
angel.jpg

blennylover2323

This may by lip fibroma
You can research about it if you want.
Here is some information I found about it online:

What you're seeing is probably a lip fibroma. There is a study that suggests this is caused by a virus, that only activates when the angelfish is under stress. There is some evidence that it usually affects female angelfish, or at least that they are more susceptible. There is no cure, just as the cure for most viruses have not. Euthanasia is generally recommended to prevent a slow death by starvation. However, some have reported being able to carefully cut the growth off and not have it re-grow.

Hope that helped

Upvote 0

dnatek

Thanks blennylover2323. Using the words "lip fibroma" was the tip I needed for proper search results and seems to correctly describe the situation. Kind of bummed that the options are surgery or euthanasia. Since they've had this condition from day 1 (and for all 3 of them) would seem to indicate they started off on the wrong foot and I'm disappointed my husbandry didn't cure them of the condition but I hope it was poor stock from the LFS and not reflective of my aquarium.

Upvote 0

blennylover2323

I know how hard and sad it can be. it's a terrible virus and is so sad that your poor fish have been effected. from the fact that they have had it since day one shows that it is most likely to be from the shop and that you couldn't do anything about it.
I feel so sorry about what has happened, I know how hard it can be

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
rainbowsprinkles
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
PeteStevers