Angelfish Stripe Code

1. BAS Aquariums Member Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Idk if I'm looking into this too much but I've been trying to decode the stripe code for my silver angel Murphy for almost 4 months now these are my findings

Normal/ sleeping

Angery

Eating/ hunting (notice the spots in between the stripes)

I'll update with more patterns and what I think their meanings are. Idk if this is even a thing but it's kind of a fun thing I like to when watching my fish

2. BAS Aquariums Member Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I don't know why this thread was posted twice I'm having some issues with my phone rn

3. IceFyre1414 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +822
    Pretty cool, but I'd attribute the second one to stress rather than anger. Stripes and markings getting paler are a common sign of stress.

4. BAS Aquariums Member Member

Ratings:
    +68
    But when he's stressed he loses all of his stripes. Its only when I'm messing around with him or when he's attacking something that he shows just the one stripe so clearly
    I'll try to get a stressed pic next time I do a water change

5. Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    He is interesting that his stripe doesn't complete through his dorsal, neat. No stripes to pale stripes would be stress. Aggression and dominance would be full stripes/color (towards other fish or ones they are trying to impress). Agitation/sleeping is low color and minimal striping, aka the angel is in a state where it is not bothering to control the color/stripes so they don't appear as well.

Share Page: