Angelfish stressed?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by superskyway1, Sep 14, 2013.

1. superskyway1

superskyway1New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    4 years
    I have 2 angelfish in a 20 gallon tall, do pwc once a week, driftwood and plants in tank and water parameters are stable. Just noticed that my other angelfish is sometimes like pecking the side of the other angelfish. It's not very often but when it happens the other angelfish doesn't really react. He just moves a little bit. But when the other angel goes near him he already moves away (without the other angel pecking at him yet). The angel that is being pecked at still seems very active though, eats very well, swims and even eats my live plants. They are about the same size. The one that is being pecked at is a veil that is why it's a little big bigger.
    1. What signs do stressed angelfish show?
    2. If my 2 angels are males, how come they are not fighting to the death?
    3. Would 2 females do this behaviour?Thanks!

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Good morning,

Having 2 Angel Fish males in the same tank is not a recipe for disaster and it doesn't mean they will fight to the death. If there is a female in the tank along with the 2 males, then there may be issues especially at mating time. The male left out, may have to be moved to another tank.

I have 2 male Angel Fish in my 265g tank and they are buddies and swim around together most all of the time. Even though they have so much space, they still stick pretty close together. (stocking list in my signature below)

Hold on for more responses.

Ken

3. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The tank size may be a bit small for 2 angel fish eventually. They will need a larger tank to be happy and healthy if you can possibly get one. With the 2nd fish not acting sick, it may just be that they are determining who is the more dominant fish and all will be ok.

I also have had more than one angel fish in a tank and they have done very well together. No fights to the death at all and lived long happy lives.

And yes.. 2 females could as easily exhibit this behavior as to males or male/female. I am thinking it may just be a personality thing.

How big are your angels? I'd love to see a picture of your tank!

4. OP
    OP
    superskyway1

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    4 years
    I see, thanks for the response!

5. OP
    OP
    superskyway1

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    4 years
    Sure, I'll try to take a photo of them. Thanks for the response!