Angelfish stressed?

superskyway1

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have 2 angelfish in a 20 gallon tall, do pwc once a week, driftwood and plants in tank and water parameters are stable. Just noticed that my other angelfish is sometimes like pecking the side of the other angelfish. It's not very often but when it happens the other angelfish doesn't really react. He just moves a little bit. But when the other angel goes near him he already moves away (without the other angel pecking at him yet). The angel that is being pecked at still seems very active though, eats very well, swims and even eats my live plants. They are about the same size. The one that is being pecked at is a veil that is why it's a little big bigger.
1. What signs do stressed angelfish show?
2. If my 2 angels are males, how come they are not fighting to the death?
3. Would 2 females do this behaviour?Thanks!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Having 2 Angel Fish males in the same tank is not a recipe for disaster and it doesn't mean they will fight to the death. If there is a female in the tank along with the 2 males, then there may be issues especially at mating time. The male left out, may have to be moved to another tank.

I have 2 male Angel Fish in my 265g tank and they are buddies and swim around together most all of the time. Even though they have so much space, they still stick pretty close together. (stocking list in my signature below)

Hold on for more responses.

Ken

Tonia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank size may be a bit small for 2 angelfish eventually. They will need a larger tank to be happy and healthy if you can possibly get one. With the 2nd fish not acting sick, it may just be that they are determining who is the more dominant fish and all will be ok.

I also have had more than one angelfish in a tank and they have done very well together. No fights to the death at all and lived long happy lives.

And yes.. 2 females could as easily exhibit this behavior as to males or male/female. I am thinking it may just be a personality thing.

How big are your angels? I'd love to see a picture of your tank!

New Threads