Question Angelfish stocking

Temijun1

Reaction score
Right now I have a 20 gallon tall planted with a honey sunset gourami pair, 6 Pygmy corys, 5 white cloud minnows (I know they are not temp compatible, trying to get them in a different tank) and a bunch of Amano shrimp. Would I be able to put an angelfish in there. I’ve seen a ton of discussions if a 20 is to small. Also, would the angel fight with my gouramis?
I am also considering upgrading to a larger tank in the near future. Would I be able to if I had a 29 gal or 40 breeder?

thank you for taking the time to read through this and help me.

Best Answer - View SM1199's answer

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Personally, I see the gouramis as your existing centerpiece fish and I would not try to add another centerpiece fish on top of that. Others may have a different opinion.

stormyskies

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Unfortunately, I wouldn't really recommend it. I'd say a 20-gallon would be too small when taking into consideration the size of angelfish at adulthood (about six inches).

As for the compatibility, I've personally never kept honey gouramis with angels, and for that reason, I'd rather wait for somebody with more experience for their input. However, I wouldn't risk it in a smaller tank without the room to escape if bickering occurs, especially since both gouramis and angelfish inhabit the top column of water. If you do decide to attempt it, make sure to take the temperament of your fish into consideration, provide them with hiding spaces to retreat into if needed, and make sure you have a backup plan if it doesn't work out.

Basically, I'd personally wait until you upgrade your aquarium before adding an angelfish to your community. I like the sound of a 40-gallon! Good luck! :)

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A 20 gallon is too small for an angel permanently, but if you do end up upgrading your tank in the future, it could work.
My one concern would be the gourami. The angel and the gourami might fight and I would have a back up plan if it doesn't work out, but honestly, I have to agree with @stormyskies, you would be less likely to have aggression issues if you did it in a bigger tank.
If you decide to do this with a bigger tank, I would do the 40B. A 29 is a bit small for them, IMO.

OP
T

Temijun1

Reaction score
Thank you all for your quick responses. I will work on getting a 40gal setup.

Aurorafishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2 angels would be good, for a 40 gallon, depending on which type of 40 gallon.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dimension of your 40 gallon tank? If a 40 breeder - 0 as it is not really tall enough; if it is taller you could probably do a pair if not too many other fishes. The question here is intention. If an actual pair (m/f) they will likely breed. If m/m or f/f there might be a bit of bickering but if you raise them together as small ones they would eventually establish alpha/beta and get along.
-
If you actually want a breeding pair i would buy 4 small ones raise them together and when a pair forms give away the other two.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
absolutely not ok for a pair of adult angels unless just a short period while breeding. Just not enough room for them to get any exercise.

Chineseatemydog said:
20 gallon high is alright for a pair but with all of the other tank mater i am not so sure

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Chineseatemydog said:
20 gallon high is alright for a pair but with all of the other tank mater i am not so sure
I have to respectfully disagree. Angelfish can get huge. 20 gallons should be used for breeding purposes only, but not for a permanent home.

New Threads