Angelfish stocking question

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
29 gallon tank with
2 Angelfish
3 Red velvet swordtails
6 Cory cats

My girlfriend wants some Angels (i told her she had me, however that didn't work...). So, anyway she saw this stocking suggestion in a book and I was wondering what some of you experienced Angel keepers thought of it?

Thanks

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Golden Fish said:
My girlfriend wants some Angels ... i told her she had me, however that didn't work ...
LOL !!! ;D ;D ;D

I think 2 Angels, 3 Swordtails, and 6 Cories will all be OK in a 29 gallon tank This is if my assumptions are correct: if Swordtails don't grow more than 2.5" and if Cories don't grow more than 2.5" ... otherwise you may want to cut down a little on Cories maybe. Keep in mind that at some point you may get algae and may want an algae eater. For this reason it's always good to leave yourself some extra space.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sounds just fine. But be aware that the angels will eat any swordtail fry you may have.
Carol

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Isabella said:
Golden Fish said:
My girlfriend wants some Angels ... i told her she had me, however that didn't work ...
LOL !!! ;D ;D ;D
Isabella, Thats the same reaction she gave me.......sigh.

Thanks for the help, you too butterfly.
Aren't some swordtails supposed to munch on algea? Maybe not as good as a BN.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella said:
This is if my assumptions are correct: if Swordtails don't grow more than 2.5" and if Cories don't grow more than 2.5" ... otherwise you may want to cut down a little on Cories maybe.
I have read in some books that swordtails can and will grow to 4" in length and
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Swordtail.htm says they can grow up to 5" unless the velvet type is a smaller version than forget all that I just said.
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The corys will be better in the large group. The swordtails will graze on algae growing on plants and need a little greens in their diet. Veggie flakes are great for this purpose if you don't have any algae on plants. they will not do as goos as a bristlenose though, their moth is made different.
Carol

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everybody.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As long as these fishies don't grow more than 2.5" (excluding the Angels, of course ) your tank will not be overstocked. If they do, it will be. Research their adult sizes well before you buy them. Each species can have different varieties, and each variety can grow to a different size. So check the exact adult size of the types of Cories and Swordtails that you'll be getting.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom