Angelfish Stocking Question

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all,
I plan on stocking my 125 gallon soon. I am moving some dojo loaches from my 55 to there. I was also considering adding a school of angelfish to the tank, but realized that dojo loaches like colder water while angels like warmer. I will probably run the tank around 73 degrees but it will probably sit at around 74 during the summer months. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep angels at this temp or not. While I know it is not optimal, Im wondering if it can work. Also, let me know if there are any other reasons these fish could not stay together. Thanks!

OP
TheDojoMojo

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FinalFins said:
Angels do school, or a better word "shoal". They are actually very social fish.
Interesting discussion. I have always seen large groups of angelfish in various tanks, but have never personally kept more than two. I plan on possibly getting a small school of dither fish to go with them. Will this lower aggression do you think? Also, what are your thoughts on the temperature requirement?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
TheDojoMojo said:
Interesting discussion. I have always seen large groups of angelfish in various tanks, but have never personally kept more than two. I plan on possibly getting a small school of dither fish to go with them. Will this lower aggression do you think? Also, what are your thoughts on the temperature requirement?
Dither fish really don't lower aggression, they are more of the fish that bring other fish out into the open.. if you mean something like target fish, I can't help with that.

Angelfish temperature is somewhat like 76 to low-mid 80's

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't do angels with dojos at that lower temp, but have you instead considered paradise fish? They love cold temps like dojos do. Keep all one gender (I did a group of all males) and they were great as a group in a tank. Beautiful fish. Make sure it's a planted tank, but if you were thinking angels I imagine its planted anyhow

OP
TheDojoMojo

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nataku said:
I wouldn't do angels with dojos at that lower temp, but have you instead considered paradise fish? They love cold temps like dojos do. Keep all one gender (I did a group of all males) and they were great as a group in a tank. Beautiful fish. Make sure it's a planted tank, but if you were thinking angels I imagine its planted anyhow
Yes, heavily planted. I run a powerhead on one side of the tank and while it is not crazy powerful, it, combined with the FX6 creates a decent flow in a circle throughout the whole tank. I dont know much about the paradise fish itself but i hear that most gouramis like low flow. Another thing I have considering is raising the temp higher than optimal for the dojos as I have run them slightly warmer with no problems. I'd rather not, but it seems my options for cooler-water fish seem limited. The paradise fish seems like a good idea but I am not sure yet. Also, what is your experience with bioload of paradise fish? If angelfish do not seem like they could work, I am open to and will appreciate any other suggestions as well.

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Paradise fish are even more capable swimmers than angelfish. If you considered the flow acceptable for angels it should be fine for paradise. Besides, they are rather beautiful in their own right, and put on gorgeous shows when they display to each other (it's a lot of flaring, strutting and circling, sometimes followed by a very short chase but rarely ever do they bite each other).

Screenshot_2018-02-28-12-27-37.pngScreenshot_2018-02-28-12-28-31.png

New Threads