Angelfish Spawning

1. honker99 Member Member

After doing some yard work this morning and coming in for lunch I notice my angel pair laying eggs on a anubias leaf. The female lays the eggs and the big marble male has been fertilizing them. So far they are very good about not eating any of the eggs. This is their first spawn and I am surprised about how well they are doing thus far. It is time for a water change so do I wait now that they have spawned or do I go ahead and do the water change. I don`t want to dislodge the eggs or anything.

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do the water change. Make sure the eggs stay submerged and don't get so close the parents stress.

Good luck.

3. honker99 Member Member

Ok thanks for the advice Dena. I will go ahead and do the water change. I am very surprised they have spawned as the tank they are in is a temporary tank. I had to put them in a 20g because we are planning on moving in the near future and I went ahead and tore down the 75g until we move. I was very surprised as they have only been in this tank for maybe 2 weeks.

4. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Wow, pretty crazy. I hope your batch make it, but they probably won't :( Can we see pics of the parents?

5. honker99 Member Member

I will try to get some pics posted tonight. They are being very attentive parents thus far. There are also 3 small emerald cories in this tank since the big tank was tore down.

6. streetdog Member Member

Congo congo congo!!! Birthday party requested and pics too...

7. honker99 Member Member

Well this morning it looks as if all the eggs have turned white. I know this isn`t normal so maybe they will have better luck next time. Sorry about the pics, hopefully i can get some up of the parents today.

8. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Was this their first spawn? It is not uncommon to lose the first few.

Are you sure you have both sexes? For eggs to turn white so quickly is an indication that they were not fertilized.

Better luck with the next round.

9. honker99 Member Member

I am fairly certain that they are a pair. Not all eggs are white, there is still a few that are clear. The marble angel has been picking the white ones off the leaf but is very cautious as not to get the clear ones. They both have been fanning the leaf and have still been defending the area from the cories. Quite the sight.

This is the male[​IMG] and this is the female[​IMG]

How do you post pics from your computer to your post. Whatever I am doing isn`t working.

10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

The easiest way is to click the Go Advanced button under the textbox. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page where the Attach Files section is at. Click the Manage Attachments button, and use the browser window to navigate to your pictures.