Angelfish Spawning Videos

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Carol and all :)

I finally managed to record my angelfish spawning! It was also the first time that I saw it with my own eyes. I was sitting by the tank until the spawned, and was not going to miss it this time!

I have no doubt now that I have a pair. The breeding tubes are exactly as those of a male and a female, and when you just look at the way the male follows the female - it's obvious. I have two video clips to show you, so that any of you who have experience with breeding angelfish can confirm that this is a pair.

Though they were clearly spawning, and the male did - what it seems - fertilize the eggs by following the female and putting the milt over the eggs ... I did not see the milt itself. Does that mean that the milt wasn't there? Or that the milt is this transparent?

Sorry for the poor quality of the videos. They were recorded with a small digital camera and the lighting was subdued. In your Windows Media Player you can enhance the videos while viewing them by making them brighter. I hope you'll be able to see something and reassure me that I have a pair. Thanks :)

P.S. But first of all: how do you upload video clips? I went to "Additional Options" and browsed my video clips, then started uploading them. But every time I tried to upload them, it would take forever, and the website would eventually stop responding. The video clips are very short and small. What's going on?

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Forget it :-\ the size of the videos is too large after all. Is there any way I could reduce their size and then post the videos?

3. rob2uk Member Member

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hi Isabella - there is a file size limitation for uploads (I think 400kb).   Try doing what rob2uk suggested if you can.  I just checked out putfile - very cool site.

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you Rob and Mike. It's all right. When I was recording my angelfish I had my size set to be very large, not to fit e-mails (which I realized too late). Which is why my video clips did not upload successfully on FishLore. I created an account on PutFile.com. The movies did upload there, however, they did not work there well either - I'd see only the first few frames, and that's it. You wouldn't be able to see anything. So I deleted them from PutFile. But I am keeping the account - will be useful for larger photos and for smaller movie clips.

If anyone wants to see the video clips, however, I can e-mail them to you. Maybe that will work - but I can't guarantee. Anyway, thanks for trying to help :) If I am home next time they spawn, I will try to record it as a very small file.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Isabella thats what happened when I tried to download the clip of my wigglers, I made the size too large.
    Sounds to me like you have a pair. The milt is never visible, if he was following her I would feel sure he was fertilizing the eggs.
    Glad you finally got to see them in action, its an awesome sight. ;)
    carol

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

OK! My angels spawned again yesterday and I recorded it again. Only this time the image is so small I doubt you'll be able to see anything. I put the movie clip on PutFile.com. The quality of the movie is terrible as it was recorded very small and then enlarged on PutFile with the same small resolution. Anyway, here it is: http://media.putfile.com/AngelsSpawning

The golden one is a male, the blue-blushing one is a female. If the resolution was clear, you'd see a large breeding tube under the female's belly.

I am 100% sure they're a pair.

8. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

P.S. When watching the video clip, you can make it smaller - it looks somewhat better this way. Go to "view size" under the movie and select "320". :)

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

See I told you they would spawn again!!! ;) Once angels start spawning just about all you have to do to get them spawn is to keep them wet ;D
    Carol

10. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

So I see Carol! This breeding seems to be very regular now. I can almost predict when it's going to be again. It's like an angel-clock, lol.

11. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Very Cool :) I didn't think the img quality was bad at all !