Angelfish spawning pair problem

1. pchyang Initiate Member

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post to this forum. A while back I came across three baby Koi Angelfish at a mom/pop fish store. I instantly fell in love with their color and picked up 3 in hopes to get a pair from them. About a month ago, I got my wish. A pair was formed and not too soon after I got a spawn. Unfortunately I wasn't ready for a spawn. They must have spawned on a Saturday and by Monday, when I got home from work, all the eggs had hatched but there were no signs of the "wrigglers" anywhere in the community tank. I assumed all were gobbled up.

Since then, I've moved the pair into their own 20 gallon high breeding tank setup. I found some threads on this forum on how to condition and induce them to spawn again. I followed them and got to where the female and male are showing the reproductive parts as well as cleaning a surface for spawning. But for some odd reason, every time the pair gets to this point the male always chases the female away. He continually nips at her top fin and prevents her from cleaning the surface with him. This will the second time this has happened this month.

I don't know what to do so they can commit and actually spawn. Has anyone had this happen to them and how did you get around it? I really am wishing they spawn again so I can get some fry.

female.jpg male.jpg pair.jpg

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure if any drastic measures need to be taken. If they are proven, than it is only a matter of time. It appears to me that they are attempting, but simply missing the mark. A lot of new pairs go through this.

Others may come along and provide advice to expedite the process if speed is the desired course.

Awesome looking angels too!

3. pchyang Initiate Member

Pishphin,
    I guess I am a bit anxious for fry. Upon further inspection today I noticed that the female's papilla is kind of black at the front side. Is this normal? I came across a thread where someone had an angel where there was blockage in the papilla. Is this a sign?

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, I'm only really familiar with breeding RCS and killifish.... I hope someone else will come along shortly with a little more infor regarding angels. :-/

5. GuyCO Member Member

How old are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum