Angelfish Spawned On A Brazilian Pennywort Leaf

1. k

kst New Member Member

Hello,

I noticed this evening that my angelfish were chasing their molly and flagfish tankmates more often than usual. I then realized that they'd spawned on a leaf of the pennywort that I had just put in the tank a week ago. To my knowledge, this is their first spawn. They seem to be fertilized because they're amber/orange-ish.

I would like to try to raise them but I can't decide which course of action to take.

If I try to catch all of the other fish to move them and give the tank to the angels to raise them on their own, I'm afraid it'll just stress the parents into eating the babies. If I remove just the leaf to put it in a container with an airstone, it'll surely get blown around by the water constantly. If I remove the entire plant, the only thing big enough I have for it is a 10 gallon I use to grow out plants so it is dirted, capped with sand. Or I suppose I could put it in one those orange Home Depot buckets. I can't decide whether or not to try that-- to put the entire plant in the 10 gallon or the bucket-- or to buy an aquarium divider to sequester the mollies and flagfish to the other side of the tank.

What would you suggest-- eggs into the 10 gallon planted tank or into the bare bucket, or get a tank divider to let parents have a crack at it? It's 1:00 am here so I could very well wake up to no eggs but I hope not.

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats on the spawn. I'll call in an expert for ya. @bizaliz3.

3. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Following :)

4. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Since you don't have space to raise them you can divide the tank and let the parents try to raise them (they likely will eat them), however if you are wanting to actually raise them (a ten gallon is not good for long, it can be done but water must be almost discus pristine to give them the ability to grow, which normally translates to daily water changes) they will spawn again, likely in two weeks.

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I say you let the parents practice for now. There is a good chance things will not work out for this spawn. Angels often need a few tries to get it right. But not always. But this could buy you a few weeks to get more prepared for babies.

Do you have the right food to feed them? (pretty crucial) Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp is the only thing that has worked for me.
    Could you set up a 29 for just the parents? It is fun to watch them parent raise when they get it right. And then after the babies are free swimming for a couple weeks, remove the parents and put them back in the community tank and let the babies grow out in the 29. Or simply take the parents out as soon as the eggs hatch and you have little wigglers. (I am talking about a future spawn, not this spawn)

Just a thought. :) Personally, if you don't have the food right now, I'd wait and let nature takes its course with this batch and get more prepared for a future batch.

6. OP
    OP
    k

kst New Member Member

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I decided to not touch the eggs but I have slowly begun catching the mollies and flagfish and moving them to my other community tank. I've caught 3/4 of the flagfish and 3/5 of the mollies. If I don't catch them in time for this batch of eggs to make it, I want to give the next batch a chance.

I don't know if the parents are doing such a good job though. The image with no angelfish in it was from yesterday. Today, with the image with the father in the pic, there are a lot more white fuzzy eggs.

Edit: I do have New Life Spectrum's Grow Fry Starter food that I feed to my bamboo shrimp on occasion but no brine shrimp eggs on hand. I'll pick some up though.

Attached Files:

7. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

It looks like more unfertilized eggs then fertilized ones. I think they will abandon the eggs or eat them. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. They'll spawn again in 10-14 days, so no worries.

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

They are about 50/50 for the remaining eggs, which should start hatching, however you don't know how the parent fish will react meaning they may eat them.