Angelfish Sick

LakeMann

Reaction score
Water Condition:
125 gallon, planted with 15 6-month old and 33 2-month old angelfish.
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitate- 10
Alkalinity- 80
Hardness- 150
PH- 7.6

I have 10 angelfish, purchased 3 weeks ago, exhibiting the following symptoms:
Flashing, head twitching- began 1 week ago
Resting at bottom of tank- began 5 days ago
Developed red, defined lines at the base of pectoral fins- began 3 days ago
Red pigmentation inside the mouth- began 3 days ago
Red streaks on the fins- began yesterday

The fish continue to eat. When I first noticed the symptoms, I thought it was flukes and I raised the temperatures to 85 and began putting salt in the tank daily. I also added an additional air bubbler.

Complete community tank, no aggressive fish or fin nipping. My local water source is naturally hard. Since the red fins developed, I lowered the temperture back to 78 degrees. I am thinking the PH may be causing an issue and was thinking of supplementing small amounts of vinegar daily?

Another 125 tank I have has the same water conditions and houses 50 4-month old angelfish. They were exhibiting similar symptoms for a week- twitching, flashing, laying at the bottom of the tank, slight greyness on skin but continued to eat. After salt and temperature increase they have recovered after a week.

Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated

I will add photographs tonight.

OP
L

LakeMann

Reaction score
Water Condition:
125 gallon, planted with 15 6-month old and 33 2-month old angelfish.
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitate- 10
Alkalinity- 80
Hardness- 150
PH- 7.6

I have 10 angelfish, purchased 3 weeks ago, exhibiting the following symptoms:
Flashing, head twitching- began 1 week ago
Resting at bottom of tank- began 5 days ago
Developed red, defined lines at the base of pectoral fins- began 3 days ago
Red pigmentation inside the mouth- began 3 days ago
Red streaks on the fins- began yesterday

The fish continue to eat. When I first noticed the symptoms, I thought it was flukes and I raised the temperatures to 85 and began putting salt in the tank daily. I also added an additional air bubbler.

Complete community tank, no aggressive fish or fin nipping. My local water source is naturally hard. Since the red fins developed, I lowered the temperture back to 78 degrees. I am thinking the PH may be causing an issue and was thinking of supplementing small amounts of vinegar daily?

Another 125 tank I have has the same water conditions and houses 50 4-month old angelfish. They were exhibiting similar symptoms for a week- twitching, flashing, laying at the bottom of the tank, slight greyness on skin but continued to eat. After salt and temperature increase they have recovered after a week.

Should I remove the air bubbler to help decrease PH? I was concern about gill flukes.

Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated

I will add photographs tonight.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might be something to do with your tap. Water depts. sometimes make seasonal chemical treatment changes.
Maybe a big water change with a double dose of a quality
water conditioner would help.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you get all the angels from the same source?

I would think if the salt and heat worked for the 50 angels, it would work for the others showing similar symptoms. Although I'm not sure what you are dealing with. If it's flukes, their lifecycle can be complicated.

So you added 10 new angelfish to your 125g three weeks ago and only these are displaying symtoms in this one tank atm? But your angels in the other tank were showing the same symptoms a few weeks before? Do you keep equipment seperate between tanks? I see different sizes of angels in there. Some look close to maturity. Any bullying? I can only see some redness where the pectoral meets the body which suggests fast swimming (possibly trying to get away) and at the face area. Other then that, maybe a bit faded overall.

When I had gill flukes in my tank, my affected angels rested at the bottom in corners breathing heavily, pale and spitting out food, shaking their heads or moving their jaws by yawning, it was just obvious something was bothering their face area. I did one week's round of PraziPro and tons of siphoning afterwards and it took care of them. If they had a chance to reproduce though you might have to follow a treatment specifically for flukes (if it's flukes!)

This is a recommended dosage plan to treat gill flukes just FYI
From Thegab.org:
Day 1 -- perform water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to tank
Day 2 -- add Prazi
Day 3 -- do nothing
Day 4 -- do nothing
Day 5 -- do nothing
Day 6 -- add Prazi
Day 7 -- add Prazi
Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming
Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 35 - normal partial water change, treatment is complete

I prefer to do more water changes than this though, so if you do an extra 50% water change, add 50% more dose of PraziPro. Also Prazi works best with low dissolved Solids, so I like to do a good water change before treating in the first place.

Edit: I just noticed the angel in the pic (blue silver?) has his lips a bit apart. I think you are into with the flukes. Keep an eye for symtoms.

Last edited:
OP
L

LakeMann

Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough response. My angelfish in both tanks show/showed the same symptoms except they eat. Yes, you are correct- the slightly red pigmentation on the face and base of fins.

The angelfish are all from different sources. The koi were bred by me and show no symptoms of illness. I am concerned that the blue are more susceptible. And the angelfish in the other tank, which are also from a different source, have fully recovered.

I am going to do 30% water change for the next few days. If no progress is seen, I will start treating with pot perm- however I really prefer not to. It seems some of the blues (2 or 3) have already started recovering. Only a select few, especially the veils, seem most susceptible.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry I'd have to look into fluke treatment alternatives to Prazi. Idk how your plants will appreciate all those treatments, definitely not salt.

I personally use PraziPro once on all my fish in QT, before they go into the main tank. Fish can bring in all sorts of parasites and pathogens. I found out the hard way when I had to treat all my tanks for callamanus worms. Anyway, my own 2 cents (for what it's worth), the fish could use a round of PraziPro especially if they've never been treated before.

I wouldn't say the blues are more susceptible, but they could have been the ones that brought in the problem. Since all the angels have been together in the same tank, I think it's time to treat the whole tank and be done with it. My beautiful Smokey angel recovered fully and was looking 80% better the very next day. The trick is to nip it in the bud and keep on maintenance to keep it away. My experience with gill flukes was 7 years ago. Never saw it again.

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 28 65.1%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 7 16.3%

Top Bottom