Angelfish Shakes head?

Hemikyle

Reaction score
hello, so I recently had an issue with what appeared to be white bumps near the eyes of my Angelfish. I made a post on it and some people were believed that it was ich. So I decided to do a heat treatment as I was in the process of bringing up the temperature the white dots were dissappearing. I continued for two days at 86°F, fearing that it might get worse when in fact it didn't do anything worse other than almost dissappear. So I realized it wasn't ich, because my other fish would have had it so I decided to reach out to the forums and we decided on bringing the temperature back down since it wasn't changing anything. At the time of me doing that from the temperature change I've been noticing my Angelfish shaking his head like a dog. Confused as to why he is doing that. Any thoughts or suggestions?

By the way tank temperature is back down to 77°F after a few days of course.

These photos were when I first noticed it. They are now almost all gone.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When a fish is shaking its head and twitching that means it has an irritation. Once in a while is okay but often enough to cause concern is not. In the first pictures you can see how the gills and mouth look puffy. That could be caused by the issue with the white dots.

That is definitely not ich and appears to be something more along the lines of infection and/or parasitic issue. If those are old pictures can you upload some new ones? And because if I don't ask someone else will, what are the nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels?

The white spots along the angel's eye are the sensory pits, these as well as the faint line of dots running along a fish's spine on either side of their body (the lateral line) are something to take note of. When you notice changes such as larger pits, mucus etc. it is known as HITH, which is a parasitic protozoan infection (similar to ich as both are protozoan). It can also be caused by poor nutrition.

Another thing I'd look into is flukes. Gill flikes can cause the puffy gills/mouth and the head shaking. Either way I'd look into a parasitic treatment. I think I’d go for a parasitic treatment for fluke and Hexamita that also treats secondary infections. Perhaps API General Cure.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Demeter said:
When I fish is shaking its head and twitching that means it has an irritation. Once in a while is okay but often enough to cause concern is not. In the first pictures you can see how the gills and mouth look puffy. That could be caused by the issue with the white dots.

That is definitely not ich and appears to be something more along the lines of infection and/or parasitic issue. If those are old pictures can you upload some new ones? And because if I don't ask someone else will, what are the nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels?

The white spots along the angel's eye are the sensory pits, these as well as the faint line of dots running along a fish's spine on either side of their body (the lateral line) are something to take note of. When you notice changes such as larger pits, mucus etc. it is known as HITH, which is a parasitic protozoan infection (similar to ich as both are protozoan). It can also be caused by poor nutrition.

Another thing I'd look into is flukes. Gill flikes can cause the puffy gills/mouth and the head shaking. Either way I'd look into a parasitic treatment. I think I’d go for a parasitic treatment for fluke and Hexamita that also treats secondary infections. Perhaps API General Cure.
Awesome thank you so much. I was going to put him in quarantine and that was my thought that it was a parasite. Ill test the water and post it on here along with some more recent pictures.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Demeter said:
When a fish is shaking its head and twitching that means it has an irritation. Once in a while is okay but often enough to cause concern is not. In the first pictures you can see how the gills and mouth look puffy. That could be caused by the issue with the white dots.

Here's some of the most recent pictures we are transferring him to the QT tank.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So the eye thing did indeed clear up so that’s good. I’d definitely say he has inflamed gills so gill fluke treatment along with some a bacterial treatment would do him good. Even still, once gills are damaged they can take a long time to heal so you’ll have to be on top of water quality and probably have to do a couple rounds of treatment.

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Demeter said:
So the eye thing did indeed clear up so that’s good. I’d definitely say he has inflamed gills so gill fluke treatment along with some a bacterial treatment would do him good. Even still, once gills are damaged they can take a long time to heal so you’ll have to be on top of water quality and probably have to do a couple rounds of treatment.
How can you tell its his gills that are inflamed? I put him in the QT and I used general cure also.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The throat area is bulging out so I'm assuming it's the gills. In all the pictures the mouth is gaping open so that's not normal either. The mouth doesn't look particularly deformed and I see no fungus on the mouth. Unless the little guy has a deformity I'm guessing gill problems.

Hopefully the meds take care of whatever the problem is, good move on putting him in quarantine. Good luck!

OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Reaction score
Demeter said:
The throat area is bulging out so I'm assuming it's the gills. In all the pictures the mouth is gaping open so that's not normal either. The mouth doesn't look particularly deformed and I see no fungus on the mouth. Unless the little guy has a deformity I'm guessing gill problems.

Hopefully the meds take care of whatever the problem is, good move on putting him in quarantine. Good luck!
Yea he is breathing kinda heavy so I wouldn't be surprised. I'm assuming most angelfish don't constantly breathe like that with there mouth opening so much? But thanks im going to need it.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom