Angelfish severe rot fin - help!!

Feusagit

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 64 Gallon
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter? Yes, sump with a Sarlo 713 g/h
Does it have a heater? Yes, 300w
What is the water temperature? 82 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 6 Angels, 2 German Blues, 8 cardinal tetras, 5 ambiacus corys, 6 albine corys

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 30%-40%. This week i'm gonna do twice a week
What do you use to treat your water? Prime, discus buffer (ph from tap water 7,8)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Alcon test
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: don't have the test
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice, 11am/21pm and 23pm for bottom fish when lights are off
How much do you feed your fish? I add a few, if the fishes eat the amount in less then 2min, I add a little more.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? TetraMin Flakes, Sera San, Sera Flora, TetraMin tablets, Tropical Dafnia, Tropical Nanovit e Tropical Discus Gran D-50 Plus
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No, not yet

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? One month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? fins are falling and getting smaller everyday
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I started using seachem stress gard since it says that helps healing wounds and i'm feeding them with seachem garlic gard.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? In the first day that i rescued her, she was very shocked, she couldn't swim normally bc her fins were closed, as it was something gluing it together. But in the second day, she started to eat again, more than ever, and she is very active! She school with the others angelfishes and none seems to importunate her. But, her fins are getting smaller everyday, as it is roting.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now).
3 days ago she was sucked into the sump! In the morning i went to feed them and i noticed that one of the angelfishes wasn't there, i started immediately to try to finding her and nothing, she wasn't in the tank, so it occurred me to check the sump. As the angelfish are bigger than the pipe outlet, i found her stucked in there! I managed to take her out of there, but she was severelly injured already, god knows how many time she spent stucked in there. As I mentioned above, she's doing great, but her fins aren't..., it keeps getting smaller and smaller..., is this fin rot? I tought that her body was healing, expelling the part that were already too damaged and dead...
I know I should separate her from the others into a hospital tank, but i don't have any other thank other than the main, what can i do? Should start medicate her? With what?
The firt picture is her today, I just took it. The second one from yesterday, and the last one is the one from the day that this nightmare started, when she was rescued.
Thanks y'all in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20210107_161314.jpg
    IMG_20210107_161314.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20210107_010554.jpg
    IMG_20210107_010554.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20210105_185933.jpg
    IMG_20210105_185933.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 65

Advertisement
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 64 Gallon
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter? Yes, sump with a Sarlo 713 g/h
Does it have a heater? Yes, 300w
What is the water temperature? 82 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 6 Angels, 2 German Blues, 8 cardinal tetras, 5 ambiacus corys, 6 albine corys

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 30%-40%. This week i'm gonna do twice a week
What do you use to treat your water? Prime, discus buffer (ph from tap water 7,8)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Alcon test
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: don't have the test
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice, 11am/21pm and 23pm for bottom fish when lights are off
How much do you feed your fish? I add a few, if the fishes eat the amount in less then 2min, I add a little more.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? TetraMin Flakes, Sera San, Sera Flora, TetraMin tablets, Tropical Dafnia, Tropical Nanovit e Tropical Discus Gran D-50 Plus
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No, not yet

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? One month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? fins are falling and getting smaller everyday
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I started using seachem stress gard since it says that helps healing wounds and i'm feeding them with seachem garlic gard.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? In the first day that i rescued her, she was very shocked, she couldn't swim normally bc her fins were closed, as it was something gluing it together. But in the second day, she started to eat again, more than ever, and she is very active! She school with the others angelfishes and none seems to importunate her. But, her fins are getting smaller everyday, as it is roting.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now).
3 days ago she was sucked into the sump! In the morning i went to feed them and i noticed that one of the angelfishes wasn't there, i started immediately to try to finding her and nothing, she wasn't in the tank, so it occurred me to check the sump. As the angelfish are bigger than the pipe outlet, i found her stucked in there! I managed to take her out of there, but she was severelly injured already, god knows how many time she spent stucked in there. As I mentioned above, she's doing great, but her fins aren't..., it keeps getting smaller and smaller..., is this fin rot? I tought that her body was healing, expelling the part that were already too damaged and dead...
I know I should separate her from the others into a hospital tank, but i don't have any other thank other than the main, what can i do? Should start medicate her? With what?
The firt picture is her today, I just took it. The second one from yesterday, and the last one is the one from the day that this nightmare started, when she was rescued.
Thanks y'all in advance!
Hi Feusagit I would say it's fin rot too. it looks like there is fungus on it as well. Here is an article and video that explains how to get rid of fungus. Reading and watching it will help.

Treating with Maracyn and Ich-x should solve the problem.

Article: How to Cure Fungus on Aquarium Fish

Advertisement
Stress guard won’t cut it. Fin rot is a combination of a bacterial and fungal infection. Your options are Kanaplex , neoplex, or Polygaurd from the Seachem line.

if one fish has it, then it’s possible for it to spread to other fish. So an entire tank treatment is not out of the question For your consideration.

Preventative thing I like do which may improve your situation.

Feed once a day

Run a uv sterilizer 12 hours a day.

Hi BettasAreSuperior and !poogs!!!

I'm so sad about her being sick
I talked to my LFS and they couldn't bring the hospital aquarium today..., I bought it, but bc of the pandemic, we are avoiding to go in person to the store, so they send the products to us..., they will send it tomorrow 9am, her fins will make the night? I wanted to isolate her, but I don't even have a oxigen compressor to put her somewhere else. I'm doing a water change today for about 50% of my tank, vacuum the substrate so I make sure that bacterial load that could be in the water reduces.

About the treatment..., I'm from Brazil, and here those products aren't sold in LFS anymore bc of the components, antibiotics need medical prescription here..., so...
I'm thinking about treating her with labcon aqualife (fungicide) and labcon bacter (gram negative broad spectrum bactericide), alongside epsom salt baths, what do you think? Is it gonna be effective?

Beyond that, I noticed that one of my angelfish had a very fine line coming out of his anus, with poop coming out too. it's like a hair so thin that it was, should i be worried?

As for getting the product, we have the same issue in Canada. There is a go around in Canada that allows us to import it from the USA, if you are the owner of a pet that requires the treatment you can import veterinary antibiotics sold on the shelf in another country that does not appear on a prohibited list, but commercial sellers can’t import it. Do not know if Brazil has a similar law.

I am not familiar with those products, but if this is all you have access to, then I can’t see the harm.

as for the fish poop, I would say one thing at a time. Most antibiotics and fungals added in the water for treating fish, will remedy in bacterial or fungal infections. If you find it to be parasitic internal infection you may need to alter your approach if it comes to that.

best of luck.

Stop with the buffers .. They only lead to trouble . Your pH is fine as it is .
Change more water more often ..
When people ask how much they should change I feel the correct answer is " change as much as possible as often as possible ."
Discus keepers do 90% a day with no issue ..
Angels are pigs and create lots of waste ,they therefore need large water changes ..
Most growing fish also excrete hormones that effect the other fish .. Only water changes will remove them .
I like 75% for minimum water changes but what do I know ?
Here is one of my ram tanks during water change ; 90%+

dWmFarfl.jpg
I do this once or twice a week ..

Advertisement
Stop with the buffers .. They only lead to trouble . Your pH is fine as it is .
Change more water more often ..
When people ask how much they should change I feel the correct answer is " change as much as possible as often as possible ."
Discus keepers do 90% a day with no issue ..
Angels are pigs and create lots of waste ,they therefore need large water changes ..
Most growing fish also excrete hormones that effect the other fish .. Only water changes will remove them .
I like 75% for minimum water changes but what do I know ?
Here is one of my ram tanks during water change ; 90%+
View attachment 756100
I do this once or twice a week ..
But if I stop using the buffer, isn't my tap water ph too high for amazonic fishes as cardianal tetras and angelfish? If i stop using it the ph would be 7,8...
I recently added a substrate that regulates gh and ph to an amazonic bioload tho
They are pigs indeed haha
But I can't change that amount of water so frequently, I would be broke haha, I have a planted tank and i fertilize it weekly with potassium, micro nutrients, iron and liquid carbon. Also, i only have a 60liters container that I use to do the WC, the work that i would have to put to do this, change almost 200 liters..., how do you do it? I wouldn't have the time bc of work, so I'm trying to do twice a week something near 50% T.T

Another old school treatment for fin rot back in the day was methylene blue. Not sure if that is accessible to you.

I do have access to methylene blue, it's very easy to find it in drugstores! Thanks, I'm gonna buy tomorrow morning! I'll update u about the little fish conditions on treatment, thanks for all the help

So, some updates! I bought a hospital tank yesterday, filled it with the main tank water and I moved her there. I applied the medication as recommended by the instructions given and used stress hard as well, the moving stressed her a lot! I fed her just once, with Tropical gran d-50 and garlic guard. She‘s not as active as she was in the main tank but she’s doing ok. Some pictures for you, I can’t see improvements yet, so what should I target as a sign of her getting better? The white of her fin disappear?

Attachments

• D9B59CA7-6CFF-4757-998B-823CE30DBB6E.jpeg
    D9B59CA7-6CFF-4757-998B-823CE30DBB6E.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 45
Turn the light off as it reduces stress. Turn on when you want to inspect her progress or a feeding.

You want to look for not getting worse and the white stuff starts to fall off. You also look for new fin growth that will look clear. After the treatment, keep the water clean for fin regeneration. Addition of aquarium salt will help. Remember that it does not evaporate.

To treat the finrot and fungus you should use products that contains Phenoxyethanol.

Always check your PH before you do a large water change. A large water change can change the PH much and shock and kill your fish. You should know what your PH should be with fresh water.

Turn the light off as it reduces stress. Turn on when you want to inspect her progress or a feeding.

You want to look for not getting worse and the white stuff starts to fall off. You also look for new fin growth that will look clear. After the treatment, keep the water clean for fin regeneration. Addition of aquarium salt will help. Remember that it does not evaporate.

Thanks Alyeska! She's doing so well! I did a 75% WC today, as recommended (I do vaccum the bottom everyday to avoid ammonia), and dosed the third dose of the bactericide, and the the second of the fungicide! There's still a little white coming out of her fins but it's like its detaching of her body and in the tail fin the white is already gone! So I think that's good! She's eating awsomely, very reactive when i get closer to the tank, everytime ready to be feed as a healthy angelfish should be, right? haha

Seem, I mesure ph everytime i do WC and everyday when I feed to make sure there isnt any fluctuations! I use seachem discus buffer to correct the ph of my tap water to 6.8.

Tomorrow I'll post some photos of her!

Hey everyone! So, here's some photos of her today, i'm so proud of her, she's doing so well! Her fins started to color black on the edges, instead of the white fungy color! There's still a little white above the healthy black edge on the top and ventral fin, but i think that more one more day or two, she should be fine again ! After symptômes disappeared, how many days should i keep her in the hospital tank before putting hze back to he main tank ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210111_144548.jpg
    IMG_20210111_144548.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 37
Glad to hear it getting better. If it happens again use Interpet finrot and fungus treatment not antibiotics but a great product. Cured my Corydoras fungus.

Hi everyone, i came back to give you a feed back on how "zizi" is doing ! As you can see, her fins are growing back and she's doing so well, i'm so proud of her ! She became smaller than her sisters, but she's getting there. For treatment, i used neomycin sulfate as bactericide, and acriflavine as fungicide for 5 days, doing 50% WC every 2 days ! Thank u so much for all the help !

Attachments

• IMG_20210126_161211.jpg
    IMG_20210126_161211.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210126_161119.jpg
    IMG_20210126_161119.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 47

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sheabutter315
Replies