Angelfish Research

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Leafy, Apr 16, 2019.

1. LeafyNew MemberMember

My friend asked me to start a tank for him. I'd like the centerpiece fish to be angelfish. I'm a beginner when it comes to angelfish, and research has come up with conflicting information. I'm looking at a 30-50 gallon set-up.

1) Do angelfish prefer to be in groups or are they okay or even happier by themselves?

1.5) I understand that having two of the same sex can end up in fighting. Is it safer to have three or a single?

2) What types of schooling fish go well with angelfish? I'd like some sort of tetra, but I understand they're a little small.

Thanks everyone. :)

2. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

I think 1 angel is always safest .
    Larger tetras like black neons or skirt tetras ,even serape or lemon tetras are usually large enough to co exist with angels .

3. LeafyNew MemberMember

Thank you!

4. fjhWell Known MemberMember

For 30g I would only get 1 angelfish. in a 50g you could do 2 because even if they are the same sex they have have territories on opposite sides of the tank. The issue is if you get one of each sex and they breed... then they will terrorize the tank together to keep their offspring safe.

Like Coralbandit said, larger tetra are safe with angelfish. Black neon tetra are chancey, and serpae tetra might nip the angels though. You could go with congo tetra, buenos aires tetra, or lamp eye tetra. Lots of tetras will work, just make sure its too large to fit in a full grown angel's mouth.

5. CrispiiValued MemberMember

1. Angelfish do best in groups imo, but they can be kept alone just fine.

1.5. Numbers usually depends on tank size and whether or not you have a mated pair. Three angels would be bad if you obtain a pair.

2. Anything larger than neon tetras would be okay with angels. Just remember to get a shoal of 6+ to avoid any fin nippings. However, I currently don't have any tetras in with my angels since I feel like the angels would consume the tetras or outcompete them for food.

6. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Angel fish can be tricky, I might just skip it in a 30 gallon. 1 or 2 could work in a 50. Though if they start breeding there can be aggression. I had a pair that layed eggs every few months in a 55 gallon community tank. they would scare all the other fish into the oppasite half of the tank every time.
    Any ways, I love x-ray tetra, they are the longest lived, and peacefull tetras I have kept.

7. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Personally, I think a 30's too small for an Angel. They get larger than most people realize. Add to that the fact that you want to keep them with a schooling fish and I wouldnt do a small schooling fish, and a 30 just isnt big enough.

To answer your exact question, yes, you can keep them alone or in pairs or in schools. In a 50, you could have a single or a pair plus your schooling fish.

As far as Tetras go, there are plenty of options. You'll need a fish that wont nip, can stand warmer water and isnt tiny, so Id go with Emperor, Cardinal, Congo, Red-Eye, Pristella or Rummy Nose Tetras. Depending on which one and how big a tank, you could do 20-40 of them. You could even add a big school of Corys too, as long as they were a warm water variety.

8. CrispiiValued MemberMember

P. scalare and P. leopoldi can be housed in 30 gallons, but I wouldn't add P. altum.

9. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't put an angelfish in a 30g tank unless it's a weird dimension tank like a hexagon with more vertical space. Considering how big my angelfish are currently, and they're not even at full size, I wouldn't feel right putting one in a standard 30g tank. Just my two cents.

Leopoldi are allegedly a little more scrappy than their Scalare cousins, so probably better not to keep them with other fish in a small tank unless you plant it heavily.

I always tell people, get either one angelfish, a proven pair, or 4+. This is the best way to avoid trouble. Had someone here in the forums a couple weeks ago with three angelfish and apparently two of them paired and quarreled with the third. That's why 3 may not be a good idea. Getting 2 does not guarantee that they'll get along, even if it is a male and female—which is why I specified "proven pair". Having 4+ spreads aggression and lessens the chance of one fish getting teamed up on.

You will probably get the best display out of a group of 4+ or a proven pair, but one would be fine, too. I have 5 angelfish and they're good fun (except when they teach each other to pull up plants). Always the first to spot me coming out of my room in the mornings demanding breakfast.