Help Angelfish, red streaks on fins, base of fins and outline of body

NatsAngels

Reaction score
Hi All. New to the site. Just started fish keeping again about 4 years now specifically Angelfish. I have 9 in total. 4 of which are from 2 pairs I purchased about 2 months ago. Unfortunately one of my Angelfish has not done well with settling in since arriving. Very timid and always seems stressed. All the other 3 have settled very well. I have had several spawns from both pairs, but they always eat the eggs when they start to hatch into wigglers. The Angelfish I'm referring to is a male Gold Albino.Dantum. He is now lost most of his colour, has red streaks on fins, at base fins and red streaking along his body outline, namely at the top, as well as in his nostrils. He still eats and still spawns, but has recently started gasping for air at the surface from time to time. I have been doing regular water changes and making sure the tank is clean. I have tried to do research on it, but the results I get are not accurate to what's wrong with him. His mate, as well as all my other Angels are 100% fine. Not sure what it is or what to do. Still learning, so please be kind. TIA

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Red streaking, or "Septicemia" on a fish is sometimes a symptom of an underlying intestinal problem or a reaction to unstable water parameters.
Considering the noted Angel continues to eat & breed, probably nothing serious.
It's been my experience that Albino fish are often not quite as hardy as their standard counterparts. It's not unusual for albinos or light colored fish to have unusual pigment blotches or patterns, in particular red streaking.
It's also not unusual for a fish's color to fade. Some commercial breeders & vendors "Juice" fish with hormones in order to maximize color. Without continued treatment the color enhancement will fade.
Keep the water clean, provide good nutrition & things will likely level out.

OP
NatsAngels

NatsAngels

Reaction score
A201 said:
Red streaking, or "Septicemia" on a fish is sometimes a symptom of an underlying intestinal problem or a reaction to unstable water parameters.
It's been my experience that Albino fish are often not quite as hardy as their standard counterparts. It's not unusual for albinos or light colored fish to have unusual pigment blotches or patterns, in particular red streaking.
It's also not unusual for a fish's color to fade. Some commercial breeders & vendors "Juice" fish with hormones in order to maximize color. Without continued treatment the color enhancement will fade.
Thank you for your reply. I will continue to do as advised or better it. I wanted to add a photo but they are busy spawning and didn't want to disturb them. This will be their 5th spawn in the 2 months with me. I will try and get a photo once they are done spawning. Will be heart broken if I lose him. I will keep you updated.

OP
NatsAngels

NatsAngels

Reaction score
A201 said:
Hi A201, here is the photo as promised. They are done spawning now. Sorry for the blur, had to be quick and please excuse water stains on glass.

Attachments

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He's a nice looking, healthy Angel.

OP
NatsAngels

NatsAngels

Reaction score
I am happy and so relieved, now that you have said that about him. Thank you so very much for all your help. Truly appreciate it :)

New Threads