Angelfish ready to spawn

AngelsAndDemons

Hi guys. I just got a new angelfish. Belly is big and i think she is ready to spawn soon, but I don’t have a male tho. Should i removed her to a different tank to spawn or have to wait for her to find a male first. Thanks!

bobduhgeek

Angel fish become very aggressive when spawning. If you have a large tank and not many tankmates, you should be fine. A solitary female will spawn by laying her eggs and guarding them, she will then most likely eat them. Angels form breeding pairs and the female is very selective about what male can fertilize her nest. It's a most fascinating thing to watch, however the pair become brutally protective of the nest. I had that happen in my 55 and I can tell you, a 55 isn't big enough for a community tank with breeding angels. How long did you quarantine the fish for? A big belly can be other things as well.

AngelsAndDemons

Angel fish become very aggressive when spawning. If you have a large tank and not many tankmates, you should be fine. A solitary female will spawn by laying her eggs and guarding them, she will then most likely eat them. Angels form breeding pairs and the female is very selective about what male can fertilize her nest. It's a most fascinating thing to watch, however the pair become brutally protective of the nest. I had that happen in my 55 and I can tell you, a 55 isn't big enough for a community tank with breeding angels. How long did you quarantine the fish for? A big bell can be other things as well.
I just got them yesterday. I bought 3 of the same kind.I put them on my 30 gallon for now. But will transfer them on my 50g community tank. Which i got 4 more angelfish. I was hoping to get a pair. I am thinking if she is ready to spawn, i can transfer her to a 10g. Once she lay eggs i will put her back in the 30g.

bobduhgeek

If there is no male, doing so is not going to work. The male fertalizes the eggs after they've been laid. After that, you move the eggs to a nursery tank.

AngelsAndDemons

I see. I guess i have to wait for some of them to be a male. At least i know i have a female now. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies
Views
Srikrishna
  • Question
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies