Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaseD25

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
what is a good size tank for them?

what are good fish mates for them?

is it ok to start them off in a 5 gallon then upgrade them later?

please answer these i ned to know thanks.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
they need to be in a tank that is 17 inches or taller. Some people recommend minimum 20 tall, but others say minimum 40g. I would say absolutely not in a 5 gallon.

They are fine with community fish that are not fin nippers, but may eat small fish like neon tetras when they get big enough.

OP
C

ChaseD25

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i mean im not goin to keep them in heir fo there whole life span i am probaly upgrading soon.but im just wondering for right now as their small if it would be ok.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know what you meant, but sorry, my answer doesn't change. You've got an overstocked 5 gallon tank, and a possibility of upgrading in the future. I just don't think it is okay to add angels to any 5 gallon, let alone one with your current stock. It doesn't take them long to grow, and if they are in a small tank, they can develop incorrectly - stunted with bent fins.

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Everyone has the good intention to upgrade in the future. Unless you have the tank the fish needs as an adult I would suggest waiting until you get a bigger tank.

OP
C

ChaseD25

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know what you meant, but sorry, my answer doesn't change. You've got an overstocked 5 gallon tank, and a possibility of upgrading in the future. I just don't think it is okay to add angels to any 5 gallon, let alone one with your current stock. It doesn't take them long to grow, and if they are in a small tank, they can develop incorrectly - stunted with bent fins.
well also im trading in the tiger barbs.and 1 of my platties past awayed this evening.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
in my opinion, the 5g is overstocked as it is, without even adding an angelfish. Angelfish require much larger tanks, a tall type being preferred. The investment cost between a 5g tank and a 55g is huge, so it's best to already have a tank ready for whatever fish you plan to stock in it.

You could liken it to putting a puppy in a crate instead of a back yard. Will the animal survive? Yes if you take care of it, but what kind of life is that?

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The most common recommendation I have heard is 20 gallon is the minimum size for one angel and then 10 gallons per angel after that. Even in a 20 gallon tank it should be a 20 tall. If I didn't have a 20 tall I would go with a 29 gallon for one angel.
Angels also are a little more sensitive to water then most fish. Most recommend RO water but it is not totally necessary depending on what your tap water is like. The prefer soft water with a fairly low pH. What are your water parameters like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom