Angelfish Questions

1. tootie Initiate Member

Hay guys and girls im back,woke up the other morning to find my 2 angles were locked together in a kind of kissing fenzie one was pulling and one was pushing this went on for like 5 min interviles very odd behaviour ive mever scene any thing like that these angles seem to have a tremendious conection between one another the other odd behaviour was thay stay still facing towards one another and thay do this like twitching sort of like thay are trying to scare one another or intimidate one another it quite an interesting fish thay seem to have so many trates i never quite know what thay will be up to next. I have photos just gotta find a way to put them up.Still trying to get in touch with butterfly to find out how to clean up wood to be able to put it into my tank.I can be contavted on my website.STill hoping to hear back from you butterfly about this please. Lastly ive been told to only feed my angles once a day ,then its been once every 2days its so hard to work it out so many different opinions.How does one know whats the correct way to be feeding my fish.As i dont want to be over feeding them.One person in a pet shop told me to feed my fish twice a day.Very confusing indeed.What should i do and who should i listern to please any advice on this any one.Thanks again and buy 4 now.

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Re: Angel Questions

Tootie,
    I moved your questions into your own thread so more folks would see it. ;)

Just keep an eye on your angels and separate them if you start to see injury. It sounds like mating behavior, but it could also be territorial fighting. The males can be very harsh with the females when they pair up. How big is the tank? Do you only have 2 angels in the tank? I have 2 pair in a 55 gal. and the males pick at each other constantly defending their half of the tank.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Hi tootie sorry I didn't see your question. Feel free to PM me anytime.
    Yes this is mateing behavior. They are tests of strength. It's like saying are you woman/man enough to be mom/dad of my fry. If one got scared and backed off they wouldn't spawn. Its like the fittest survive. It is so cool to watch this, you think they are never going to seperate.
    My Koi angel and Sunset blusher were doing this teh first part of the week and Thurs they spawned. I'm so excited ;D
    Carol

4. tootie Initiate Member

Hello again so nice to hear back from you butterfly.Wow that's so amazing the large female did lay eggs again she was defending them like ive never scene b4 really aggressive especially 2ward's the male he was not allowed any where near the eagg's.I did a really stuped thing as i switched off their light and come morning all the eggs were gone,thay. had all had a midnite snack on the eggs.I thought that might happen , currently i am unable to sort this problem out as i have urgent family illness to contend to oversea's i will be gone 4 three mayb 4wk's.Therefore untill i get back home i am unable to set these 2 angles up in their new tank which is about a 200 litre tank,currently Gunnie 2 answer your question the angles are in a 175-litre shared tank with 4peppered cat fish small sized catfish which angles dont seem bothered about them at all.One dwalf coral fish and one small mollie.I intend to set up the 175-litre tank with mimi fish in schools,many sorts no barbs though,as this tank is a display tank and much convasations are had around this tank also about the contents in the tank.What do u mean gunnie that you put my questions into my own thread i do not understand what that term means could you please explain.Thanks

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I just moved this discussion to another place so more people would see it. ;)

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Don't worry they'll get it right eventually ;) You take care of you and they will be ok. Sometimes the other occupants in the tank make them nervous so they eat their own eggs. Some people leave the lights on the whole time the eggs are in there and some don't. I personally do.
    Sorry to hear about the family illness we'll be here when you need us. Take care of yourself.
    Carol

7. tootie Initiate Member

Hi Gunnie your on line im hoping so as we may be able to talk cool.Thanks so much for what you did to put my messages to a place where more people can reed them u are so kind and i surpose thay can b of intrest to other new commers i so hope so any ways.I,m looking for answers tis all and i do find some pet shops are only to happy 4u to buy fish and tanks and food and every thing else thay r able to sell to u,except the moment you have any problem there not to keen to dish out the advice so badley needed and thats why you guys and butterfly are so important to have axcess to 4 all the help people like me so baddly need so thanks heaps again.

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Tootie, next time they spawn, if you don't want to move the eggs to a separate tank, to make the chances better of getting them to the wiggler stage, might I suggest you try leaving the tank lights on so they can see their eggs all the time. This was suggested to me from the breeder I got my angels from. So far, I haven't gotten any wigglers, but that may be because I have 2 pair in the same tank. Also, some angels just have the whole breeding instinct bred right out of them, and just don't know how to successfully raise their young. In that case, you might have to remove the eggs. Give them a few more tries and see if they can get it right on their own. ;)

9. tootie Initiate Member

Hi there Gunnie sorry i did not realise you had responded to my post.That idea about putting the airstone in the water has been brillent i havent needed to use any chemicals ph up ph down since you told me that thank you so much for that im so grateful to you for that help.Now i have a new male angle the last one died.I have the same blacklace female angle she s cleaning plants madly.She killed the 4 rainbow sharks which were put into my tank i was not happy about it and wanted them removed anyways the blacklace angle took care of all 4 now theres only her a male still youngish so who knows whats gonna happen next looks like thay may try to breed again thought this time id try your idea and what do uyou think about a breeder box for the babys will thay eat these eggs or should i just try out the breeder box then any waisted food shrimps will be eaten by the other fish.If you canpost this to the fishlore site please do so butterfly usually does as i dont know how to.thanks again Tootie

10. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I don't think it would hurt to try the breeder box idea as long as you can get food to the babies. You also might want to consider putting a sponge on your intake tube so your filter won't suck up any of the babies. This sponge will also make it easier to keep your filter clean since most of the junk will be caught by the sponge, and you can just rinse it in old tank water.