Angelfish Questions

parkerrrrrr

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm wondering if anyone could take a guess at my angelfish ages. I have eight in a 35 grow out tank with plans to separate as they pair off. I've had these for over a month now, I bought them off a hobbiest. The marbles are about quarter sized and the zebras are about half dollar size. How will I tell they are pairing off and when should I start to notice that? Thanks in advance!
20190913_165645.jpg
20190913_165818.jpg
20190913_170318.jpg

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your angels are so cute and pretty

The rate at which they grow depends on water quality, nutrition and tank temperature. Also it's in the genetic makeup of some phenotypes, some grow larger and faster than others. But zebras and marbles are fairly basic. It even varies within the same spawn but here are the typical or average growth rates

Dime body size at 8-10 weeks (18mm)
Nickel size at 12-16 weeks (20mm)
Quarter size at 4-5 months (24mm)
Half dollar size at 6-7 months (30mm)
Dollar size at 9-10 months (39mm)

There's always some that are very slow and others that are just monsters, but as a general guideline.

As for them pairing off, they'll let you know lol! They get pretty aggressive. First, you might notice one of them getting round in the abdomen area and two of them swimming and hanging with eachother. It might look like they are displaying for eachother. They will choose a spawning site (usually a vertical surface like a large plant leaf, piece of slate leaning against the glass or if they can't find anything, a filter intake tube or even heater). Their aggression is heightened at this point and they will swipe at the other angels to keep them away and protect their territory. At the same time, they will start picking at the site cleaning it with their mouths. If you look closely, you'll also notice the female's breeding tube and it drops further the closer she is to laying the eggs, this is when it's hard not to notice. The male's tube is thinner than the female's and pointy, while the female's is thicker and blunter.

So make sure to keep the water quality perfect and provide them somewhere to lay the eggs or establish a territory. Or if you have plans to move them before they spawn, I guess just watch for 2 angels to kind of separate from the school and spend time together kind of flirting.

Here are two of my platinums I caught pairing off in my 120g to give you a feel

I'm not sure those are 'zebras' btw. I think I see a stripeless gene and silver. Bizaliz would know better if they are zebra, it's in the dorsal fin. If they are zebra, and I see some with a stripeless gene, they would be considered clown.

Here's a link to Biz's journal, she made a helpful post explaining the difference zebra makes.
Biz's angelfish breeding journal :-)

parkerrrrrr

Reaction score
Your angels are so cute and pretty

The rate at which they grow depends on water quality, nutrition and tank temperature. Also it's in the genetic makeup of some phenotypes, some grow larger and faster than others. But zebras and marbles are fairly basic. It even varies within the same spawn but here are the typical or average growth rates

Dime body size at 8-10 weeks (18mm)
Nickel size at 12-16 weeks (20mm)
Quarter size at 4-5 months (24mm)
Half dollar size at 6-7 months (30mm)
Dollar size at 9-10 months (39mm)

There's always some that are very slow and others that are just monsters, but as a general guideline.

As for them pairing off, they'll let you know lol! They get pretty aggressive. First, you might notice one of them getting round in the abdomen area and two of them swimming and hanging with eachother. It might look like they are displaying for eachother. They will choose a spawning site (usually a vertical surface like a large plant leaf, piece of slate leaning against the glass or if they can't find anything, a filter intake tube or even heater). Their aggression is heightened at this point and they will swipe at the other angels to keep them away and protect their territory. At the same time, they will start picking at the site cleaning it with their mouths. If you look closely, you'll also notice the female's breeding tube and it drops further the closer she is to laying the eggs, this is when it's hard not to notice. The male's tube is thinner than the female's and pointy, while the female's is thicker and blunter.

So make sure to keep the water quality perfect and provide them somewhere to lay the eggs or establish a territory. Or if you have plans to move them before they spawn, I guess just watch for 2 angels to kind of separate from the school and spend time together kind of flirting.

Here are two of my platinums I caught pairing off in my 120g to give you a feel

I'm not sure those are 'zebras' btw. I think I see a stripeless gene and silver. Bizaliz would know better if they are zebra, it's in the dorsal fin. If they are zebra, and I see some with a stripeless gene, they would be considered clown.

Here's a link to Biz's journal, she made a helpful post explaining the difference zebra makes.
Biz's angelfish breeding journal :-)
This is great info!

I just got told from the guy I got these from that they were hatched around April 15th. So that answers that! Around what age would they begin pairing off?

Great video of your platinum angels! They are beautiful!

Interesting! I had wondered that myself. Is clown another word for mutt? Lol thanks for the link. I'll go read it now!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No not mutt lol! Not at all. It just means they'd have a zebra gene and a stripeless gene in the same locus. So the stripeless breaks up the zebra bars into half lines or spots called clown. It's an actual recognized phenotype.

My angels seem to start looking to pair off between 8 and 10 months. Could take longer for some and my angels still change partners now and then.

Thanks about my angels. I don't have them anymore, but I loved those glitter platinums.

parkerrrrrr

Reaction score
No not mutt lol! Not at all. It just means they'd have a zebra gene and a stripeless gene in the same locus. So the stripeless breaks up the zebra bars into half lines or spots called clown. It's an actual recognized phenotype.

My angels seem to start looking to pair off between 8 and 10 months. Could take longer for some and my angels still change partners now and then.

Thanks about my angels. I don't have them anymore, but I loved those glitter platinums.
Okay I gotcha! Makes sense to me! Thanks for your help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom