Angelfish Personality Differences?

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I have three angels. One I bought from Petco three days ago (probably not going to buy anymore from them, got three, one died the first day and the other is in QT for fin rot, I did get a really nice kribensis from them though) and the other I bought from Petsmart (this is angel 3). The one that's in QT is not part of this. My question is, the Petco (black) angel is really quiet, hides all the time, really skittish, barely eats, whereas the Petsmart angel that I bought yesterday is really outgoing, tussles with my fire mouths and chases the serpaes. Is there something wrong with the black one or is it just a personality thing? I won't be buying angels from petco anymore, I wanted to go to Petsmart to get all of them but they were closed and petco was across the street. I still have the two though and I want to make a go of it. and I will be removing whichever is the odd one out (male/female).

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Something isnt right with the black one.
All angels should he very interactive with you. At the front of the tank. Begging for food. And attacking the surface for the food when its given to them. That is a sign of a healthy angelfish.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You've had the angel three days? How long did the petco have them before you got them? (It makes a difference, right after shipping they are so shy and jumpy being moved to another new tank can really throw them off), but the firemouths may be causing his lack of interest if they have even once tried to nibble on him (same with the serpaes honestly).
Though if it is a black angel (any of the black angels petco or petsmart gets in are from the same suppliers, but their genetics are kinda poorly) it will be weaker than say a regular silver angel.
I'd give him a couple days and make sure some food gets to him to give him the best chance at getting that personality out and about.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how long they'd had them for. They did have a lot of floating plants which I don't have in my tank. Maybe this is the problem?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It may not feel it is safe and that can cause a juvenile angel to try and hide wherever possible. But depending on how long they had it it may just need more time to settle in and start taking cues from the more interactive angel (which they will).

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hm. How do I make it feel more safe?
Give him time, if he has already found a good hiding place providing more will only be confusing, just make sure he gets some food and doesn't get picked on and he should show that personality pretty soon.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
I feel like the other fish don't even know he exists. He got some food, and he's hiding by the filter. He does have white stringy poop though...little worrying.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feel like the other fish don't even know he exists. He got some food, and he's hiding by the filter. He does have white stringy poop though...little worrying.
I would move him to Qt and deworm or deworm the whole tank to make sure everyone gets a dose to help out the internals.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
I may just return both of them...Petsmart had nicer ones and this is third out of three...the petsmart one isn't showing any problems.

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
I bought a juvinile about a month ago. Not sure, so I'll refer to him as a Male, lol. He was about 1 inch, maybe slightly larger. When I first brought him home, he stayed hidden for 2 or 3 days, then decided he was ready, and now he has an excellent appetite, follows me when I come close, and just has a great time, doing what Angel's do

Give him time, but still keep an eye on him.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
We'll see...also @Mcasella, should I treat the tank for fin rot too because my other angel has it? He's in QT but that's a spaghetti sauce jar (clean and large, but still) and I'd really like to put him back in the main tank if the fin rot won't spread. None of the other fish have it.

He can still swim and he's really active but his tail is a stump with bones sticking out. There's no webbing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like it is more serious than fin rot if it has gotten to the bones. that one needs a separate tank with warm, clean water to help heal.
Fin rot is normally not contagious.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
The main tank is warm and clean. And it hasn't gotten to the spine, if that's what you're saying. The main body of the fish is fine. It's just the tail looks like a bunch of spikes.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Quick question for you...your profile says your tank was just set up less than a week ago (8/15).....is that accurate? If so, what was your process for cycling the tank?

The most common answer to your issues would be that the fish was new and uncomfortable and scared and just needed to settle in first. But with fin rot and white stringy poo, he is clearly not in good condition. How was his behavior at the store when you picked him out?? How were his fins at the store when you picked him out? I am going to assume they looked fine at the store or you wouldn't have chosen him??

I don't think a spaghetti sauce jar is a sufficient space for QT or hospital. The stressful cramped conditions likely will only make the fish's condition worse...

I think you should test your water in your tanks to rule out any water quality issues on your end. Just to be sure.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honestly sounds like the one in QT has a bad case of finrot and I wouldn't be surprised if the shy one with stringy poop has hexamita. I'm also curious, was the one in QT already showing finrot symptoms at the store?

I would at least feed the black one Epsom Salts if you decide to keep it. E salts are an alternative to Metronidazole. Let me know if you want instructions on how to lace food or for more info if you want reference.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had the water tested, the guy said it was good to put stuff in. I'm not sure if the one in QT was showing symptoms or not because it has a clear tail anyway and I couldn't tell in the store. Their water was kind of messy-looking though, and they had a LOT of fish in the same tank. I've decided to return them. Unfortunately my parents can't drive me to the petco right now so I'll just have to wait. I put the fin rot one back in the tank...figured better he's there then stressed out in the sauce jar. None of the other fish have problems, or my new angel. I'm almost 100% it's Petco's problem because three out of three have issues and then this fourth petsmart one is fine...hides a little but he's brand new and already more outgoing then any of the others. Going to return the old ones ASAP.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Take a sample of water with you and write down the numbers they get for your tank, don't just take your tank's good as an answer. If they refuse to show you the numbers get a manager.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had the water tested, the guy said it was good to put stuff in. I'm not sure if the one in QT was showing symptoms or not because it has a clear tail anyway and I couldn't tell in the store. Their water was kind of messy-looking though, and they had a LOT of fish in the same tank. I've decided to return them. Unfortunately my parents can't drive me to the petco right now so I'll just have to wait. I put the fin rot one back in the tank...figured better he's there then stressed out in the sauce jar. None of the other fish have problems, or my new angel. I'm almost 100% it's Petco's problem because three out of three have issues and then this fourth petsmart one is fine...hides a little but he's brand new and already more outgoing then any of the others. Going to return the old ones ASAP.
You didnt answer my question though. Is the tank only a week old? And the water tested by the store before adding fish? If it was a brand new tank with no fish....then the water parameters would be good. But as soon as you add fish to an uncycled tank...they produce ammonia that fouls the water.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
It is only a week old but I've been putting TSS in.

Will get it checked when I take back the angels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 31 66.0%

Top Bottom