Angelfish Peck Out of Love?

theRqua

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I noticed two opposite genders of angelfish peck at each other without the other one avoiding. My intuition tells me they do this out of love. Could this be true?
Thanks for all the answers!

theRqua

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No. They are testing each other. If they fail the test they break up and there will be er issues. It is most likely the female that doing the pecking.

If they are both the same sex it is pecking order but i think you implied they were m/f.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Only have limited experience with Angels, could just be pecking order hierarchy or not?
Not sure if still active but @bizaliz3 is the Angel "Guru"

Good Luck!

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not realistic to apply human emotion to fish. A dominant Male cichlid might be in a mating mood one minute, then the next decide to kill the female & eat fry. Hardly amorous.
The noted behavior might have been a breeding cue, but very easily could have been an minor act of intimidation.
Most Cichlids do shimy dances as a precursor to mating.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What ever name you want to call it that is normal behaviour for a pair of cichlids. I have no angels but have seen a breeding pair of cichlids lock lids many times . And continue to do it each fortnight in between laying eggs over and over again.
6BCC86DA-10F4-4753-9B80-9894E2A853DD.jpeg
I personally think it’s testing commitment and strength but whatever it is it’s normal. Even to the point of removing a little skin from your partners nose.
Same fish a fortnight later with fry and breeding dress.
EA1C9CCB-3CEA-4C27-8878-74E22AC68C54.jpeg

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My breeding pair never lock lips but maybe they will in another 6 months who knows. That doesn't mean it isn't common but it does mean it doesn't always occur. The only time my angels locked lips is when the female tested her old partner decided he wasn't worthy and then proceeded to beat him to a pulp.

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
theRqua said:
I noticed two opposite genders of angelfish peck at each other without the other one avoiding. My intuition tells me they do this out of love. Could this be true?
Thanks for all the answers!

theRqua
My breeding pair does that all the time. The male will peck on the sides of the female and she just lets it happen. I have seen them be aggressive to one another when they get freaked out by something, and the pecking is totally different. Typically happens shortly before egg laying.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom