Angelfish Pb Gene Question

1. Rainy day Member Member

Hey, so my LFS got in a few new angels, blue marbles to be exact. Despite their name, they don't show too much blue at their quarter size which is why I'm holding off on buying them. I was wondering if the Pb gene is expressed more as they fish age? I've had Philippine blue angels before and IIRC they showed blue as juveniles, hence why I'm asking.

Thanks! :hungry::pigeon:

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

They definitely do get bluer with age. But at a quarter size you should certainly see some blue in there! Do they have a lot of black coverage? Could you sneak some photos and post them here?

3. Mcasella Well Known Member Member

They may only have one gene which doesnt show up as strongly as a double dose.

4. Rainy day Member Member

I'll take a picture when I go back and they do have a tiny bit, but it's barely noticeable. You have to look at it from the right angle to see it. That's a beautiful angel you got btw

I thought since it's a recessive gene, it wouldn't be expressed at all if there was only one dose?

5. Mcasella Well Known Member Member

I have some that are blues and some that are pb blues, it makes a big difference to be truthful. For example I have a blue silver that has the same pb blue as one of bizaliz3's babies and I have an adult silver with one dose of blue so it shows up but it is not eye catching like the blue silver.

6. Rainy day Member Member

Ahh, strange. Maybe they do only have one dose then, what a shame. I've been searching for blue and black angels for ages but they're just so hard to come by in Canada :dead:. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how do you know it only has one dose? Did you breed it yourself?

7. Mcasella Well Known Member Member

It shows up on it unlike my other silvers, I did not breed her myself but I know what her lineage is from the breeder I bought her from.

8. Rainy day Member Member

Sorry for the late response but they were sold out when I got there, aside from one very dull looking one...which I picked up. He had almost no blue to him but after a few weeks of NLS he's surprisingly vibrant. I'm really shocked with the transformation. I went back to the LFS this past weekend though and they had restocked them. Some of them were incredibly gorgeous, a few were 90% black but I passed up on them due to the fact that I was happy with mine. I can take some pictures of the one I picked up if you'd like.

9. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd love to see pictures :)

10. Rainy day Member Member

My camera wasn't doing a good job of focusing and the little guy started to get stressed after a bit, losing his color. So I only managed 2 blurry pictures, sorry! :dead:

The first picture is how he(or she) normally looks and the second is after he began to get stressed

Yes, I know my tank is a mess haha. Still waiting for some hardscape to come in before I really make it pretty

11. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Your fish has a normal amount of blue for a Blue Marble, looks pretty good to me. The occasional greenish tint to the color is a matter of lighting and angle of the light.

BTW, there is no difference between Blue and Philippine Blue. Just that someone didn't want to bother to write out Philippine. Only one gene, which originated with Ken Kennedy in the Philippines, who asked that they be referred to as Philippine Blue rather than Kennedy Blues. It is a simple recessive, which means one Pb gene does not make any difference in the appearance of the fish. Those who think they have a "single blue gene color" are simply misinterpreting the paler color of some fish as not homozygous blues. As has been mentioned many times, diet and light period have been proven to have a visible effect on color and patterns of Angelfish, going as far back as the early 1970s. The other color patterns of the fish can also influence how much blue shows through. And it is possible that there could be some modifier genes that influence the degree of color, though I've never seen any indication of that.

12. Rainy day Member Member

Yeah, I know there's no difference and ahh, just as I thought. I was certain it wouldn't be expressed with it being a recessive gene.