Angelfish Pairing Question

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My Angelfish babies (or should I call them adolescents now, lol) are about 5 months old and are quite large! I am wondering: when do angels start pairing off? Because I am not seeing any pairing off behavior so far ... and they're not getting any smaller ... and my 30 gallon tank isn't getting any bigger either, lol.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK, thanks. Well, I think it's time anyway to give 5 of them away I'll be left with 6 for now.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know it's hard to give them away A breeder friend of mine says you can look at their heads and tell which is male and female( I still don't see it ) The male supposedly has a little bit of a hump .
1.gif

Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
J-Man, some of my angles are bigger than a quarter in body size (without fins) and they're approximately 5 months old. I suppose they'll be a bit larger in a month or two. But I think it really depends on the individual batch and how well one takes care of the fish, and also on the tank size (too small a tank may cause stunted growth). Which is why I will be giving half of them away - time for them to get more space and hopefully some decent homes (I hate the fact that I won't know who bought them - I am afraid it will most likely be beginners who don't even know about the cycle and as a result will kill my babies - whom I've been raising and caring for, for so long ).

Carol, really? I'll observe my babies for any "humps" lol and will leave 3 with and 3 without the humps.

P.S. J-Man, I believe the size of angels also depends on the variety of angels.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm not saying I don't believe Carol, lol. It's actually interesting and could be VERY helpful if we could recognize male and female angels by their body shapes, or ... humps ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I checked my angelfish pair today and ... lol, I think the male indeed has what appears to be a "hump" above his head and a little to the back (between the head and where the dorsal fin begins). I have also read somewhere that male angels have more pointed heads, while females have round bodies. My female angel has a round body indeed when compared to the male. Until angels pair off and start mating, I suppose this is the best one can do to try and determine which is which.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep thats the sure way but you know me always looking for an easier way LOL
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOL, yes, but I can't keep all 11 until they're 6-8 months old! So it seems I'll have to use the alternative method of "humps" and "body shapes". LOL ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom