Angelfish Pair No Longer Spawning

1. A

Ayara Initiate Member

Hi everyone. Have a bit of confusion I'm hoping you can help with.

I have an angelfish pair that spawned successfully in the community tank, though due to situation none of the fry survived past the early days of free-swimming. The male of the two became very aggressive in the community tank before spawning (I know this is normal) and even after I moved what was left of the fry, so I had to create a makeshift barrier until I could get a separate tank prepped for the pair.

However, even though the pair now have plenty of room (40 gal) and water parameters and temperature are exact same as the community tank, they haven't shown any interest in spawning again. There have been some false starts (cleaning the site) but breeding tubes only came out temporarily and just the first time.

I'm at a loss on what to do. One person suggested moving the pair back to the community tank, but I have added more angels since then and can't risk the level of aggression I was previously seeing out of my male. Another mentioned that they just need time to get adjusted to their new home, but its been over 2 months now.

Ideas/suggestions on what to do here would be really appreciated!!

2. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Have you conditioned them? Give them live food and raise the temperature a little.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Ayara Initiate Member

I don't have the option of live food due to where I live (no LFS within 100 miles) but I did increase the protein in their diet about a month ago via blood worms and brine shrimp from Amazon. They are also up 2 degrees from where the others were (77° to 79°) as of 2 weeks ago and have weekly partial water changes performed. Water testing is at 0/0/.5

4. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

If you can get things delivered from amazon them you should be able to receive items from Ebay. You can get it cheap with free shipping. Do you have any plants or decorations in the tank?

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Angels sometimes "divorce" and will no longer spawn with each other, even when you make everything perfect for them to spawn - you can try getting some dithers to encourage them, however this might not work.
    If they no longer wish to spawn they will not spawn.