Angelfish pair mystery

StinkyLoaf
Hello Fishlore!

I have a pair of juvenile angelfish in my 30 US gallon community aquarium. One is a koi angelfish and the other is a smokey blue angelfish. I’m yet to sex them because they’re still small. They are only temporary residents of the 30 US gallon and when they’re fully grown they’ll be added to my 60 US gallon cichlid aquarium where I’ve kept a female angelfish before. This move won’t be for a while though as they’re only a few inches in depth.

One thing I haven’t got to the bottom of yet is why the koi angel is growing faster than the smokey blue. I‘ve never observed them fight or bully one another and there’s nothing to suggest food hogging behaviour either, just the occasional nip. They’re never shy and are very outgoing. Their current home was recently quite overstocked but I’ve dealt with lowering the stocking density and there’s much less fish in there now.

The koi angel, who I’ve simply named “Koi”, has grown significantly since I got him/her back in December. The smokey blue has grown very little or not at all. They were both introduced to the tank at the same time and were in the same tank as each other in the fish shop. I’d say that they have a good history with one another and they’re both enjoying their home, so there really is nothing for me to suggest why the smokey blue is growing so slowly. They’re fed flake in the morning and on some days they’re fed twice a day with an additional meal consisting of pellets, bug bites or a frozen cube. Weekly water changes of 30% are done and I‘ll perform one later in the weekend using Prime as the conditioner.

I feel as if there’s something I’m missing but I can’t see it. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks in advance!

Wouldratherwatchaquarium
Interesting question. Ive noticed my blue marble angel is shorter and more full bodied than my others which are more the classic altum kinda shape. I was wondering if the blue varieties have been genetically selected that way.

StinkyLoaf
Possibly. I had a similar situation to this one with a yoyo loach pair I once had and the reason was easily food hogging knowing loaches.

I’ll agree that the blue angelfish variants look a lot less natural and more modified than orange/white angels such as Koi. I might have to do some research...

Wouldratherwatchaquarium
I did have a Google about it a while ago but found nothing. Despite mine being a little stumpier it holds it own with the others no problem.

Would love to have a huge altum or manacapuru only angel tank one day for the purity though.

StinkyLoaf
I guess for now the difference in growth speed is still a mystery then. They’re both pterophyllum scalare; my LFS never does altums so that clears that too.

Wouldratherwatchaquarium
He looks more like a goldfish Compared to my others haha

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom