Angelfish only in a 90 gallon

chewski3b

So, I have a pretty well planted 90-gallon tank with a Fluval 407. My big question is I really want to do black vail angelfish but I'm not sure how many due to the territorial reason when they pair. I live in junction city KS so there are not any real LFS near me so I will likely be rolling the dice for some online. I was originally thinking 6 would be a good number since it will be a species only tank. This way there would be even more room for just the angelfish to create their own territory especially once all of the plants reach maturity.

The second option I had was to have 4 angels with 8 Fals juli Coys and 12 neon's for a community.

What is best for the angelfish I want them to thrive and stay healthy.

Attachments

• image-09-06-22-07-46.jpeg
    image-09-06-22-07-46.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 30

86 ssinit

I’d say 6-9. Going with the one for every 10 g. The more you have the more the aggression is spread. I’ve got a community 90 with 2 female angels some clown loaches and bosemani rainbows and it’s fine.

Sedna

The breeding pair I had the female got extremely aggressive once she began laying. Once it was egg time it was fight time. Even people walking past the tank she'd go after aggressively. Her mate had died right before spawn and she tried desperately to pair to another male who only was interested in eating the eggs. She was later moved to another tank and eventually properly paired up. Before we could get babies from them though my heater had stray electric shock into the water from a power outtage.. So go into it with caution and def. have a plan if aggression starts up. It's always a bummer when a fish gets injured or passes away. I wish you the best of luck.

Noroomforshoe

The problem is that there will likely be at least one breeding pair, then the 48 inches of the 90 gallon will start to look a lot smaller, as there is not a lot of room for the other 4 to go to avoid an angry mom and dad. I had 4 angels in my 55, it is also 48 inches long, every 3 months the pair would breed and they would scare the other fish into the other half of the tank., I had other tanks I could set up anytime I needed to, and extra media to instant cycle them. And an LFS that would take fish if I needed to rehome somthing. Now that I have moved, I have just one tank, and no conveniant LFS, it would worry me to have multiple angels.

4 angels and other fish would be a lot safer the 6 angels

86 ssinit

Ok the reason I say 6-9 is to spread out the aggression. Many keep them like this with success. Most of us only do 2-4. And 3-4 is always the worst case.

SparkyJones

20 gallons for the first fish 10 gallons for each additional fish. That's about 8 fish.
You can push it out to 12-15 if you want to do work (water changes and stuff to keep it clean) or you could go down to 6 or 4 if you want it easy or add something else.

If you don't want breeding aggression, buy mature adults that can be sexed and buy just males. If you get females they will lay non viable eggs and get defensive every time they do, but if only males and no females theres not much to fight about except food.

If you are looking to get a pair and try breeding, buy 6-8 juveniles and move the pair to their own 20 gallon tank minimum. 6 or more juveniles is the best shot at getting at least one pair.

If you are gonna raise fry easiest way I've seen is using a 20gallon to keep a pair and 3x 55 gallon tanks for grow out so you have options to sort them by size or color or run more than one spawn at a time.

I have a 4 ft tank, a pair will easily take up and defend 2 ft of tank bottom and beat everyone over to the 3-4ft mark and if they cross into the 2-3 ft zone one of the pair will usually head towards them to back them off.
The pair will take about 3ft of tank bottom overall and stress everyone else. It doesn't work in a community setting and even if you force it, the parents will eat the eggs or fry or the other fish will eat them. You kind of have to give pairs their own space if you intend to breed them successfully.

There is rehoming fish as an option. Buying like 10 or 12 juveniles and having a 20g tank, and as females appear and pairing happens, identify the female, separate it from the group, and rehome to a friend or back to a LFS. Sometimes a mom and pop place would give you some store credit. But there's Craigslist or offer up or other ways to rehome fish also.

Just saying you should have a plan going into it, so you know what the plan is when things occur that you didn't want happening.

FishDin

Your tank looks kinda bare. If you think you will have aggression problems, you will need to provide plenty of hiding places and sight line breaks.

chewski3b

Ok the reason I say 6-9 is to spread out the aggression. Many keep them like this with success. Most of us only do 2-4. And 3-4 is always the worst case.
So I have decided to go with 7 angels in the tank! Just wondering if they would benefit from having a school of 15 black neon tetras in there or if it would stress them out?

TClare

So I have decided to go with 7 angels in the tank! Just wondering if they would benefit from having a school of 15 black neon tetras in there or if it would stress them out?
It definitely wouldn't stress them out, but it might be wiser to choose a larger or deeper bodied tetra species, emperor tetras for exmple, that are unlikely to be eaten. I do have some neons and small pencilfish with my 6 big angelfish with no problems, but other people have had different experiences and the neons could end as snacks. I think black neons are a bit bigger than regular neon tetras, but still quite slim.

ProudPapa

Black neon tetras would probably be large enough to not be eaten (and they're one of my favorites), so it's worth a shot, but something like serpae tetras or lemon tetras would be a safer choice.

86 ssinit

If going with the black neons get them and the angels at the same time. Get young smaller angels. Ones small enough that they won’t be able to eat the neons. As they grow the neons will no longer be considered food. And they should be fine. Though if you add more neons when the angels are fully grown these new neons may become snacks.

TClare

If going with the black neons get them and the angels at the same time. Get young smaller angels
Yes, this worked for me, I already had the neons and pencilfsh when I introduced the angelfish as small juveniles. But since they have grown big I have also had a few emperor tetra fry grow up in the tank, I have seen them close to the angels when they were very small still, the angels don't seem to be interested in eating them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gourami36
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
Ayrigosa
Replies
Views