Angelfish not acting right

lozprobz12

Hi, I really need some help cos I don’t know what to do anymore.
My angelfish today, she started off being quite spooked so I left her alone and tried not to disturb her, I then noticed she was twitching which she has never done before, and also she’s been pooing white long poo, but I thought this was because she is not eating, and now I’ve come back into where the tank is and she’s at the top of the tank but I’ve made sure there is enough oxygen in there, just wondering if anyone knows what’s happening

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Hi

Sounds like there could be an issue with your water if not an illness.

Can you fill in the emergency template? Pics of aquarium and fish will help too.

Upvote 0

lozprobz12

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
50 litres
How long has the tank been running?
Over a month
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
Just the angelfish, did have others but they all died still unknown why

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Every week
How much of the water do you change?
25%, more depending on levels
What do you use to treat your water?
My water is not from the mains
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
My angelfish is not eating but still feed it, not very often tho because it’s not eating
How much do you feed your fish?
A pitch
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
JBL, I don’t know what it is but the guy who sold her food recommended it
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Freeze-dried bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Spooked at first, twitching, poo is white, not eating, now at top of tank
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No because I don’t know what it is
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Behaviour has only changed today by being spooked

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
She was fine until last night she was a bit spooked unknown why, same again this morning. She then started twitching which she has never done before, also I noticed her poo was long and white but I thought this was because she was not eating, I still put food in the tank but I never see her eat it now I’ve come back to my tank and she’s constantly on the top of the tank and I’ve made sure there is enough oxygen in there for her.
Plz help I’m desperate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

OK, I'm not sure here.

Your water looks allright and cycled, 0.25 ammonia is possible a fake negative result from test but check again it should be 0.

50 litres is what 10 gallons? It is going to be too small for a full grown angel but that isn't your biggest issue right now I know.

25 is a little cool for angel fish but again shouldnt be a huge issue. Ph is fine.

You said it was spooked, maybe it is in shock from somthing that happened without you seeing. The white poop issue makes me think it is more likely an internal parasite of illness.

Nothing new added to tank? Chemical contamination? Large fluctuations in temperatures from water change?

Also your not using tap water and dechlorinator so what is your water source?

I hope you can get some more help

Upvote 0

John58ford

I see that is a small angelfish, but also know 13 gallons is really not enough space in the long term for an angel. With a single angel that size and no other stocking your tank is likely stocked enough for now, small tanks and (community) angels can be a recipe for disaster, but people do grow angels out (temporary and species only) in small tanks fairly commonly.

Now to the possible and likely problems. A one month old tank isn't very well established and lots of chemistry can go wrong. I see you listed your water is not from the mains, what is the source? This is an important as there are minerals in water that are required to be there for a tank to be successful without advanced techniques. Can you give us the brand/name of the water? You haven't changed types throughout the process have you?

Second, this is important as the first thing I do when a fish is bobbing at the surface is change the water. Usually this shows an issue with water chemistry, and possibly gas exchange. A 50% water change is my first recommendation, then lights off to destress the fish for a day while you observe.

Upvote 0

lozprobz12

M
OK, I'm not sure here.

Your water looks allright and cycled, 0.25 ammonia is possible a fake negative result from test but check again it should be 0.

50 litres is what 10 gallons? It is going to be too small for a full grown angel but that isn't your biggest issue right now I know.

25 is a little cool for angel fish but again shouldnt be a huge issue. Ph is fine.

You said it was spooked, maybe it is in shock from somthing that happened without you seeing. The white poop issue makes me think it is more likely an internal parasite of illness.

Nothing new added to tank? Chemical contamination? Large fluctuations in temperatures from water change?

Also your not using tap water and dechlorinator so what is your water source?

I hope you can get some more help
My water is spring water, fresh from the ground so there is no chemicals in it, and no there is nothing new that’s been added
I see that is a small angelfish, but also know 13 gallons is really not enough space in the long term for an angel. With a single angel that size and no other stocking your tank is likely stocked enough for now, small tanks and (community) angels can be a recipe for disaster, but people do grow angels out (temporary and species only) in small tanks fairly commonly.

Now to the possible and likely problems. A one month old tank isn't very well established and lots of chemistry can go wrong. I see you listed your water is not from the mains, what is the source? This is an important as there are minerals in water that are required to be there for a tank to be successful without advanced techniques. Can you give us the brand/name of the water? You haven't changed types throughout the process have you?

Second, this is important as the first thing I do when a fish is bobbing at the surface is change the water. Usually this shows an issue with water chemistry, and possibly gas exchange. A 50% water change is my first recommendation, then lights off to destress the fish for a day while you observe.
My water is spring water, fresh no chemicals in it, and this is the same water I’ve used throughout I done a 50% water change yesterday cos she wasn’t her normal self now today she’s gotten worse.

Upvote 0

John58ford

water is spring water, fresh from the ground
Just to make sure I'm on track here, are you going to a community spring well and filling buckets/jugs or are you buying packaged spring water at a shop or something?

I don't want to jump to intestinal parasites as you feed freeze dried blood worms which also tend to cause a stringy ish longer white to pink poo after feeding but it could be. Intestinal parasite may cause swelling in the area that affects the swim bladder also(causing bobbing). Diagnosing different worms and parasites can be tricky so maybe look into some of the identification guides. If you or a friend are at the college level in biology you may be able to use a microscope and prepare a slide to identify more accurately. All the different types of "parasite" react to different medications, most of the medications in this category are tranquilizers and oxidizers. Even the right medication is commonly stressful to the fish but can be worth it if it is the right one and all fish in the tank are affected like your case.

Do you have any more pictures of your fish/symptoms? Does it appear to be swimming head up intentionally at the surface like your other picture, or is it more like it cannot swim down because it's too buoyant?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Effieee
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
TheDustyRain
Replies