Angelfish Mating or killing - Page 2

TClare
Can you set up a siphon so that you can fill and empty at the same time?

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
Oooo I don’t think so I already have to use a 50 foot hose
TClare said:
Well TClare guess what? I went to look today and no eggs are left. None. And the male Angel has a lot of nipped fins on his on dorsal fin. It went from this to nothing. So I assume it’s safe to change water? Or do angels move their eggs? It’s like they were never there. Can you explain the process of what does happen for next time? I am only used to Kribs who stay hidden until wrigglers come out so I never see eggs. ’
2DCFFADF-7D19-4A23-A2EA-B9DF54AC46B3.jpeg

TClare
Oh that is a shame, they must have eaten them. They don’t move the eggs until they hatch after several days, then I am not sure about angels but other cichlids move the wrigglers to pits they already dug, I imagine your Kribensis do this?

I believe eating the eggs is quite common in angelfish, especially the first time, and a lot of breeders remove the eggs straight away to another tank with an airstone near them. They will probably spawn again soon. Jake37 will have more information about this and the best course of action...

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
Oh that is a shame, they must have eaten them. They don’t move the eggs until they hatch after several days, then I am not sure about angels but other cichlids move the wrigglers to pits they already dug, I imagine your Kribensis do this?

I believe eating the eggs is quite common in angelfish, especially the first time, and a lot of breeders remove the eggs straight away to another tank with an airstone near them. They will probably spawn again soon. Jake37 will have more information about this and the best course of action...
Thank you! So the Kribs go into a cave. The female stays in for about 3–5 days and the male guards her and is VICIOUS to anybody who comes near. She doesn’t leave even to eat. When she does emerge she has little tiny babies that she and the father guard wonderfully until they are fairly large. I worry they will get eaten in the water change but I have no choice. I was a bit hard on the tank now Bc there was a lot of uneaten food I had to suck up and sometimes the python doesn’t have as much pressure (it’s random). Their babies are so tiny they look like brine shrimp!
3BC88398-FA67-4A09-A987-802414743069.jpeg

TClare
KribensisLover1 said:
Thank you! So the Kribs go into a cave. The female stays in for about 3–5 days and the male guards her and is VICIOUS to anybody who comes near. She doesn’t leave even to eat. When she does emerge she has little tiny babies that she and the father guard wonderfully until they are fairly large. I worry they will get eaten in the water change but I have no choice. I was a bit hard on the tank now Bc there was a lot of uneaten food I had to suck up and sometimes the python doesn’t have as much pressure (it’s random). Their babies are so tiny they look like brine shrimp!
3BC88398-FA67-4A09-A987-802414743069.jpeg
So they are already free swimming when they leave the cave? I understand the worry about water changes when there are tiny fry like that. when my Cichlasomas had tiny fry recently I left the water without changing for two weeks, as I didn’t want to stress them. But the tank did not have any ammonia and nitrates were still low. I needn’t have worried though because the parents were very aggressive and attacked me and the siphon when I decided it was definitely time to change some water.

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
So they are already free swimming when they leave the cave? I understand the worry about water changes when there are tiny fry like that. when my Cichlasomas had tiny fry recently I left the water without changing for two weeks, as I didn’t want to stress them. But the tank did not have any ammonia and nitrates were still low. I needn’t have worried though because the parents were very aggressive and attacked me and the siphon when I decided it was definitely time to change some water.
Hahahah! I love that story—that’s so funny. Great parents! The father of the now father (Kribs) used to do the same, and attacked the python. And yes for the Kribs, the female doesn’t even bring the babies out until they are free swimmers! During water change today the mom dad and babies all hid together. The poor things. Pics of your fry?

TClare
I‘ll look out some pictures shortly, I don’t have many especially when they were very small as the glass needed cleaning and I didn‘t want to disturb them.

TClare
A couple of photos when they were about a week free swimming, and with bigger fry. You can't see many fry in the shots but they reared 42. Sorry they really are not good photos, next time I will try to get some better ones. Very sorry about your koi angel, I hope he gets better soon, I think you need a separate tank for them?

IMG_5194 2.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
A couple of photos when they were about a week free swimming, and with bigger fry. You can't see many fry in the shots but they reared 42. Sorry they really are not good photos, next time I will try to get some better ones. Very sorry about your koi angel, I hope he gets better soon, I think you need a separate tank for them?

IMG_5194 2.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg
Yours are SO CUTE!

KribensisLover1
Update
Looking much better
Though not back to perfect yet
642E7371-4A03-4120-867C-1120B39127D5.jpeg

618DD9F9-95C4-437D-BE21-1900BEFA2CBF.jpeg

TClare
Oh yes thats good, he looks so much better now. My cichlids spawned again this morning 3 days after being moved to a different tank...

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
Oh yes thats good, he looks so much better now. My cichlids spawned again this morning 3 days after being moved to a different tank...
Oh wow! What stage are they in now. Like as we write.

TClare
KribensisLover1 said:
Oh wow! What stage are they in now. Like as we write.
They have finished spawning, a lot more eggs than the last time. The female is fanning the eggs and the male patrolling most of the time, occasionally they swap.

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
They have finished spawning, a lot more eggs than the last time. The female is fanning the eggs and the male patrolling most of the time, occasionally they swap.
Pics? I’m a sucker for pics of these cuties! I’m posting about my krib issues—it’s always something—but so worth it!

TClare
Maybe I should start a new thread about them with pics...

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
Maybe I should start a new thread about them with pics...
please please please please

I SECOND THIS IDEA

KribensisLover1
They’re at it again! It looks like they’re eating them but they aren’t
92618829-2CBB-45C8-A0D6-D3190E5FFB75.jpeg

6C1707E0-F853-414F-8AA5-67FEFCB83795.jpeg

TClare
Cichlids often mouth the eggs without eating them, like they are cleaning them or something, and they will remove white, unfertilized ones sometimes. Good luck and keep us posted!

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
Cichlids often mouth the eggs without eating them, like they are cleaning them or something, and they will remove white, unfertilized ones sometimes. Good luck and keep us posted!
Cool! So fewer eggs than last time and I figured out what happened to the poor dad. I’m in here today and the mom is HARASSING and PECKING him any time he swims close to her babies. It’s kinda cute. Also TMI but I myself had a miscarriage. Remember we were all spawning together? Just found out yesterday so I’m SUPER rooting for these eggs and feeling proud of my protective Angel mama. Thank you all!
4295C17C-6556-4916-8848-698C3576351C.jpeg

9AC99D57-05C4-4CE3-8635-EF361831BFBA.jpeg

9680935C-18A4-48FF-9FF8-AA3E69048633.jpeg

95A3AB18-45C7-47DF-9A7A-0620BF8BCA7F.jpeg

14D0EB1C-C231-4D36-BD6D-0DFB473BCC50.jpeg

9A8DF11A-451A-4B3F-B663-E064A0517D16.jpeg

CCFB0879-B766-49BD-9F10-B4614826332D.jpeg

EDIT: Lacey, the MaMa, is much kinder to Goldie, the father, with lights out so they shall stay that way! The room curtains are open on a dreary day, so there is light. Should I shut those as well? To lower stress? Bc this is what’s happening when the lights are on dimly hence why they’re off now..
B96FAC24-AC5A-453B-BEAC-E44A1CB91B2A.jpeg

TClare
Ooh no, very sorry to hear that, I hope you are OK? And I hope the angels manage to rear their brood this time. Keep us posted.

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
Ooh no, very sorry to hear that, I hope you are OK? And I hope the angels manage to rear their brood this time. Keep us posted.
Will do! And thank you! Hopefully I’ll be like the angels and rally and have a baby ASAP!

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
Uh oh does this mean that most of the eggs aren’t viable? What happens next? I don’t have another tank to move them to! But even so, they haven’t been eaten, so the issue looks to be that the eggs are white not gone.
5B3E93FA-076B-45CE-AAC0-D8CDFB106C89.png

TClare
Yes, quite a lot of the eggs are white, looks like the male did not do a brilliant job of fertilizing them...but there are still some good ones amongst them. Apparently Lacy is still caring for them, is she fanning them, what about the male? Quite often the fish themselves will remove any white ones which would be good to stop the fungus spreading to the good eggs. If not I don't know whether to recommend you trying to remove the white ones, or if this would stress the fish too much and cause them to eat all of them. By the way, how old and how big are the angelfish? I imagine they are quite young and will hopefully improve with practice! But if some eggs can survive a couple more days you may get some wrigglers. What temperature is your water?

TClare
Any updates?

KribensisLover1
TClare said:
Any updates?
I’m so sorry I thought I replied to you! That’s so weird. They must have been eaten in the night —probably right after I posted that last pic. The Kribs have babies though so I haven’t done a water change in almost two weeks—Bc last time they ate the babies when I did. But I feel so bad! I’ve put prime in twice but I have to change it tomorrow. I didn’t want the parents to lose the babies but they will with cruddy water so it’s the same outcome. I’m so sorry I didn’t reply! How are YOUR babies?

TClare
Ah right, better luck next time with the angels, I have read that they often eat their eggs at first and need several attempts before getting it right. Mine are fine, I should post more pics, the babies are free swimming and going all over the tank so I am also a bit worried about water changes, scared of siphoning them up more than anything, I don't think the parents will eat them. What I have been doing is every other day removing just a bucketful of water from the top of the tank using a yoghurt carton to gently scoop up the water, and the same method to put fresh water in gently. I have not cleaned the substrate at all but have managed to clean the front glass, though I get attacked doing it. How old are the baby kribs now? I think the older they get the less likely the parents are to eat them when there is any disturbance.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom