Angelfish Losing Color?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by allnaturalallen29, Apr 7, 2017.

1. allnaturalallen29

allnaturalallen29Valued MemberMember

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's going on with my angelfish...it's color is going away

2. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeperValued MemberMember

Color loss usual means the fish is stressed. What are the parameters and temperature.

3. SteValued MemberMember

Usually color loss is the fish is stressed, and/or that is the fish's natural color.. looks like those are some zebra or wild angelfish.. maybe its the food or the lack of cover that u give, the lack of cover means the angelfish couldnt camo to anything.. also minght be that the angelfish has long feel threat so that they doesnt have the need to camo bc they feel save..

4. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

What other fish are in there?

5. Bizarro252

Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

I have silver zebras and their black stripes change in intensity all the time.
    This article might help you:

"Temporary changes in pattern intensity are a normal occurrence with most angelfish. However, prolonged weakness in pattern intensity may signal an unhappy or unhealthy fish. Fish which are uncomfortable in their environment or are fighting disease will appear faded. If left in this stressed state long enough, the faded pattern can become permanent."

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

If it is only the dark markings that are fading then it's a mood thing. My striped Angels lose their stripes when they're relaxed. But their stripes will get super dark when they are excited or angry.

If the color is fading all over the place then it could be stress.

Edit... interesting that the previous link indicates fading Stripes mean they are stressed or uncomfortable. For my angels that's when they're most relaxed!!

7. Bizarro252

Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

I thought the same thing, I am apparently going to have to do more research because if I sneak up on the tank and dont let them see me they will usually be all silver. However, especially when they are mating (or I recently found out if I give them something extra tasty like brine shrimp) they will get VERY dark stripes.

Examples:

Just chillin:
    chillin.jpg

Actively mating:
    mating.jpg

8. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Exactly my experience!

Relaxed angel
    [​IMG]

Same angel when guarding eggs
    [​IMG]

OR......

here are two pics of another angel. The pic with no stripes is first thing in the morning when I turn the light on (relaxed...cuz he was sleeping) . The pic with stripes is after he's been "awake" for a bit. He looks like two entirely different fish!! Even the blue coloring faded at night making him look platinum rather than blue!!
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice