Experience
1 year
a0baf3ef203b234dcf0776301d4a9028.jpg

12971faa1a91012e049e911702c8289a.jpg

What's going on with my angelfish...it's color is going away

Mike the fish keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Color loss usual means the fish is stressed. What are the parameters and temperature.

Ste

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
allnaturalallen29 said:
a0baf3ef203b234dcf0776301d4a9028.jpg

12971faa1a91012e049e911702c8289a.jpg

What's going on with my angelfish...it's color is going away
Usually color loss is the fish is stressed, and/or that is the fish's natural color.. looks like those are some zebra or wild angelfish.. maybe its the food or the lack of cover that u give, the lack of cover means the angelfish couldnt camo to anything.. also minght be that the angelfish has long feel threat so that they doesn't have the need to camo bc they feel save..

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What other fish are in there?

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have silver zebras and their black stripes change in intensity all the time.
This article might help you:

"Temporary changes in pattern intensity are a normal occurrence with most angelfish. However, prolonged weakness in pattern intensity may signal an unhappy or unhealthy fish. Fish which are uncomfortable in their environment or are fighting disease will appear faded. If left in this stressed state long enough, the faded pattern can become permanent."

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it is only the dark markings that are fading then it's a mood thing. My striped Angels lose their stripes when they're relaxed. But their stripes will get super dark when they are excited or angry.

If the color is fading all over the place then it could be stress.

Edit... interesting that the previous link indicates fading Stripes mean they are stressed or uncomfortable. For my angels that's when they're most relaxed!!

Bizarro252

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bizaliz3 said:
If it is only the dark markings that are fading then it's a mood thing. My striped Angels lose their stripes when they're relaxed. But their stripes will get super dark when they are excited or angry.

If the color is fading all over the place then it could be stress.

Edit... interesting that the previous link indicates fading Stripes mean they are stressed or uncomfortable. For my angels that's when they're most relaxed!!
I thought the same thing, I am apparently going to have to do more research because if I sneak up on the tank and don't let them see me they will usually be all silver. However, especially when they are mating (or I recently found out if I give them something extra tasty like brine shrimp) they will get VERY dark stripes.

Examples:

Just chillin:
chillin.jpg

Actively mating:
mating.jpg

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bizarro252 said:
I thought the same thing, I am apparently going to have to do more research because if I sneak up on the tank and don't let them see me they will usually be all silver. However, especially when they are mating (or I recently found out if I give them something extra tasty like brine shrimp) they will get VERY dark stripes.

Examples:

Just chillin:
chillin.jpg

Actively mating:
mating.jpg
Exactly my experience!

Relaxed angel
95d1eb1925fe6a1dedc8cdebd7f4c604.jpg

Same angel when guarding eggs
cedcd86ea959646af5a19e6b92e13cb0.jpg

OR......

here are two pics of another angel. The pic with no stripes is first thing in the morning when I turn the light on (relaxed...cuz he was sleeping) . The pic with stripes is after he's been "awake" for a bit. He looks like two entirely different fish!! Even the blue coloring faded at night making him look platinum rather than blue!!
3e8afa049fe9284ad0ff1051ad388f6b.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads