Angelfish Locking Jaws 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Shadoweliterecon, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Shadoweliterecon

ShadowelitereconValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 years
    Okay so I got home from school this morning, plopped down in my chair, and spun it around to see my angelfish locking jaws. I was surprised since I've never seen this behavior before. I've heard it can either be a sign of a pair or a sign of aggression. As is, the black angelfish has no injuries and the marble one has a bent bottom fin (He tries to fit under a bridge too small for him, might have to remove it). So basically, no injuries that would indicate fighting. However, the black angel has recently exploded in size, catching up to the marble fish who was always the bigger one. Is there any way for me to tell whether this is fighting or mating? Thanks.

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How big is your tank and what other fish do you have with the Angels?

Do you see them cleaning/picking at large leaves or flat surfaces in your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Shadoweliterecon

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 years
    My tank is 29 gallons and I have no other fish in the tank at the moment. The plants are infantile so there's no way they'd consider laying eggs on them, but I haven't seen them cleaning surfaces either.

4. OP
    OP
    Shadoweliterecon

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 years
    Okay so I've been watching them for a while and it seems they were fighting. The black one must have decided he wanted dominance and was abusing the marble Angel for a while... Then the marble Angel became the dominant one. The black one would force him into hiding spots but the marble one is a... peaceful leader I guess. They're not exactly buddies anymore but the fighting has stopped.