Angelfish Laid Eggs - What to do

AquaMan3640

Hey there so as it goes I noticed that my two angelfish in my 55 gallon were acting weird today, nipping at a specific jungle val stalk, and the corner of the tank. Im chilling inside this evening, go outside for a little bit and come back inside to make dinner and bam! Eggs all in the corner of the tank! I was not expecting it at all, but now I am not sure what to do. The parents haven't seemed to aggressive to the tank mates - two small schools of neon tetras and cherry barbs (planning on phasing these out), or to the otos. Will they become more aggressive? How long does it take for the eggs to hatch? Will the parents eat the fry? I was planning on getting a snail or two to help w clean up, and maybe corydoras and filling out the oto school, should I wait?

Ill upload a picture of the eggs tomorrow!

angteg35

Hi, I would move the eggs to a quarantine tank with parents. Some are great parents and some it takes a few times and others never seem to get it right. I would let them try to figure it out a few times first because the babies have more success of surviving with parents then without. If left in a community tank they will most likely get eaten as eggs and is not then they will definitely get eaten at free swimming time. Sometimes the parents will eat them too before other fish do. It creates more stress for them staying in community tank. I add brackish water conditioner to help with natural environment feel and to aid in fungus production on eggs. I also add almond leaves to help with this as well and to give the fry, when it’s time, to have something to nibble on.
Best Regards,
Michelle

Upvote 0

AquaMan3640

Eggs ended up catching a fungus I think. Majority turned from a translucent caramel type color to opaque white. Ended up removing all of them today, because the female was being a little aggressive to the male. Its definitely eased tensions. I hope their next time will be more successful. On the bright side, my Shell Dwellers have another batch (7 or so) of free swimming fry, their 1st since being in their new tank!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fallfever
  • Question
Replies
Views
aiden4aqua
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics