Angelfish :Killers or Misunderstood

1. GoldenKillifish Member Member

I've never lived without my parents (novice fish keepers) and now my 50 gallon tank. One of the staples in the tank was angelfish always two,neon tetras,a gourami or two,common pleco,and for 9 years an iridescent shark.
    Bad tank stocking am I right?
    -common pleco outgrows tank and dies
    -iridescent shark(sold as bala shark)outgrew tank and became a jumper then killed itself.
    -gouramis can be aggressive with each other and other cichilds like angelfish
    -neon tetras were doomed to be lunch for angelfish

Well in 26 years the only things that did happen of the above are the poor plecos and the iridescent shark (RIP poor thing almost made it to a heated pond ). Now I'm giving you that background to let you know it's long term experience not just a new thing.
    For me and my family we've never had angelfish that were aggressive (beyond occasional nips ) or ate neon tetras . Why ? We have even had a pair that laid eggs and we've had every common variety of angel over the years (koi,veil,black,silver with black stripes )

2. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

My theory.
    1 Not all angels are the same.
    2 2 angels in over 50 gallons give tetras space to move, never underestimate mobility.

as for the rest, yeah its poorly stocked.

3. GoldenKillifish Member Member

I was leaning towards both those but what are the odds of getting numerous peaceful angelfish that never pursue the other fish only an occasional nip at each other. I did forget to mention I haven't had angelfish in 5 years but due to a negotiation with sister have added two nickel sized(body ) ones 3 days ago. Obviously as juveniles they just watch me for food and seem to enjoy picking at algae.

4. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Well I guess you've gotten lucky. Personality can really vary. One of my coworkers just lost her angelfish. The one single fish in her large tank for over ten years. She claims it slowly harassed everything else they got in the tank and everytime theytried to add more fish they were killed. So hers must have been super aggressive and yours on the extremely peaceful side. I'm hoping t o get one eventually and I'm hoping it will be peaceful.

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Think a lot of fish will show wrong (to us) behaviour if kept in wrong conditions (angels, tiger barbs, black skirts, gouramis, aso).
    I adopted a lonely angel once : it had become very asocial being alone in a small tank. Chased somemif my fish, but never killed one. Angels are social fish though that, if are kept in the right way, will often show less aggresion / less issues.

Reading the first post my first"idea" that came up was "the plecs and the sharks would be the problem". That appeared to be correct hahaha.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I keep 4 angels ( it was only meant to be two but that's another story) in a 60 gallon with black neons & corys.
    The only time there's any sign of aggression is when the Angels spawn, even then it's just a short chase & no damage caused, the rest of the time they're all best buds hanging out together with the occasional squabble, usually over food.
    They're all have different personalities so I guess I got lucky that mine all get along, if that changes then they will be moved.

7. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Usually when people teel me their angels ate the neons, its adult angels with small neons, or theyre in less then 40 gallons.

8. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Makes sense. I have adult jumbo neons and black neons with two juvenile angelfish. Honestly my angelfish never get super big just about half tank height or so.