Angelfish Issue!

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all! Yesterday, my beloved angelfish was his usual self, just jolly as could be and happy to be a fish. He knocks others out of the way and doesn't hesitate to say hi at the glass.

Today, he has been floating near the filter, not moving too much. He reacts to my hand in the water and still moves and what not, but I think he has an issue happening. He will float kind of stay in the middle of the filter stream, as if he were trying to strengthen his bum fin by working it. He gets sideways after a few minutes, then will straighten out. It's just concerning because he is normally the life of the tank. I am no expert on fish disease, but I am great at keeping the water in pristine condition.
Tank Info:
-29 gallon tall
-1 Angel
-5 Gups
-2 cherries
-2 black skirt tetras
-1 sunset platy
-1 bristle nose
WILL NOT BE ADDING MORE FISH, none are juveniles, tank capacity roughly at its limit.
Tests:
-pH 7.4, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 10 +/- ppm. Temp 77F. (Pre water change for this week)

He is about a year old and has been through a lot. I was almost sure he was going to die when he was infected with a massive intestinal parasite. The parasite emerged from his side about 4 months ago, he has healed and everything is well. Now, he rests near the top of the tank on his side, but I doubt his swim bladder is damaged because he is able to swim straight. He swims just fine when he's startled, and moves about some in the tank, he's just lost enthusiasm and literally just floats at the top a bit crooked, in the path of the filter.

Also, his driver side (ha) fin is a bit wonky, it's torn in the middle. I don't think it's from fin nipping because normally if a fish gets near him, they learn why he's the king in the tank. How can I fix this?

Sorry for the long post, just really like this fish and he has always been entertaining. I am thinking about just throwing some general cure in to see what his problem is.

Attachments

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing that may come to mind is more intestinal worms, do you know what his poop is like?

How big is he (roughy; when you got him and now?)

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
The only thing that may come to mind is more intestinal worms, do you know what his poop is like?

How big is he (roughy; when you got him and now?)
I haven't seen it in a while and his stomach is bloating a bit like he is constipated. He was quarter sized when I got him, and now he is about 6 or so inches tall

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bloating could still be intestinal parasites IMO...

But it could just be bloating, what do you feed? Sometimes loe quality food can cause issues.

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
Bloating could still be intestinal parasites IMO...

But it could just be bloating, what do you feed? Sometimes loe quality food can cause issues.
I threw some general cure in because I have had great luck with it. As far as food, I believe Omega One to be the best. No fish meal, all whole ingredients. Either Omega One or NLS.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom