Status
Not open for further replies.

The_tide_keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Situation:
Venus, my golden angel 4 inches across and -usually- 6 inches up and down, is acting odd. She's swimming with her dorsal back and bunched up (which isn't normal for her) and her usually perfect fins look a bit wilted. Her relentless begging for food has stopped, but she'll eat a little when food is offered. URGENT: Mercury, same size/gender and the two always swim together, just tried to eat the tip of her dorsal! :-[ Forgot about this part: No redness or anything, looks like she has a few bubbles (from the filter?) on her side. She is spending time around the filter, and not swimming with Mercury which is very out of character for her.

Water parameters:
Everything is good, and her tank mates are healthy as ever.

Tank set up:
My tank was set up in August/September, and I bought Venus a little over a week after set up.

Maintenance:
I do 20 percent water changes weekly, change the filter every other week. And feed fish flakes and freeze dried brine shrimp with supplements in it (it also has krill and something else in it).

Tank mates:
Mercury: Same size, always gotten along
Jupiter: Very young, keeps to him self because Venus USED TO attack him
Pluto: Chinese algae eater that badly harasses Venus, but she's always handled it. He will be moved into a fish pond eventually, but at this point is too small so I have to keep him...

Tank size:
I'm not sure, but It looks around 25 to 30 gallons, tall, I know it's too small for them and they will be getting and upgrade very soon, don't worry.

I know about the cycle. Any advice please?

Question:
Should I put her in a hospital tank? I'm really concerned, and I don't have a tank ready for her to move into... so I would love any advice on this subject as well.

Last edited:

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well it does sound like fin rot to me...i would put him in QT asap.
also what are the dimentions of your tank ?
and i noticed you change your filter every other week...this habit will disrupt your biological filtration and possibly cause mini cycles or a recycle, its only necessary to change them when it gets clogged or 6 weeks whichever comes first.

The_tide_keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fin Rot, hm. I'll pick up some Anti-Bacteria medicated food. Can I take water from my current tank for the QT? I'll be going to the store later this afternoon to get a tank and medicine, should I do a water change in the mean time? Should I add extra stress coat?

Hm, probably about 24, 12, 24? Maybe a little bit off.

Thank you for the advice.

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
do not put water or anything from your main tank in the qt, just a bare bone setup is all you need
hmm sounds like you also would benefit from a larger tank
i would recommend actual meds over med food and feed a high protein diet. but be sure to remove all the carbon before adding meds

The_tide_keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you sure? I don't think it'd be good to put the angel into a cycling tank, or let the Angel wait for the tank to get set up... I figured I'd just put normal water into the tank and then do a good water change.

Would zoo med brine shrimp work?

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
btw you tank sounds like a 30 gallon
and i would add some extra water changes in on the main tank to help the other fish

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Angelfish can be territorial with each other & what you are seeing is typical behavior. One minute they are getting along & the next one is being aggressive. Remember they are a cichlid. What you may have to do is seperate them for good since the one is being a bully.

Usually daily partial water changes to keep water clean with Stress Coat will clearup tattered fins but removing the bully or the one being picked on is your only option in this matter for things to work.

I hope I was helpful.

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes that is the perpose of a qt, to get the fish into clean water, if you have a disease in your main tank then you will transfer it to you qt which defeats the perpose of qt.
zoo med brine should be okay.

The_tide_keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I appreciate the advice.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with putting my sick angel in a take and making her cycle with it because angels are so delicate.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
This is when a bottle of Stress Zyme comes in handy since its only temporary qtine.

I've used it before for emergency qtine.

The_tide_keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have that, what fish did you quarintine and for how long? Did the fish live?

Diver Dave

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Idont think changing your filter every two weeks and a 20% water change will hurt your benificial bacteria, especially if you have a mesh bag of the white bio balls you rinse in tank water then put back in the filter. As for the water change I dont think that is too much (mayebye too little as you didn't say what size tank you have) and I dont think its possible to change too much water as long as you use a dechlorinator and dont damage the biological filtration. If your ammonia consistently reads 0 then your biological filtration is ok.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've lost 2 Angelfish recently. One passed from unknown causes & the most recent was from Dropsy.

You have a stressed Angel. I'd qtine him or qtine the bullys & do small daily water changes with Stress Coat.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes that is the perpose of a qt, to get the fish into clean water, if you have a disease in your main tank then you will transfer it to you qt which defeats the perpose of qt.
zoo med brine should be okay.
If you're transferring a sick fish into a QT, then whatever ails that fish is getting transferred over regardless. If you can add a filter pad or other bio media to the QT, I'd recommend doing so. Otherwise, the Stress Zyme idea sounds ok. I'd do large daily water changes of 40-50%. Clean water is probably most helpful at this point IMO. I would not use antibiotics unless you are sure there is a bacterial infection going on. Meds often destroy your bio filter and stress your fish... the "cure is worse than the disease" thing. It's amazing what plenty of clean water can heal.

The_tide_keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well she's not eating and her fins don't look too good, Im assuming she needs medicine, but I will go do a hefty water change and add plenty of stress zyme.

The_tide_keeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Venus died early this morning apart from the other fish. I removed the algae eater that was giving her so much grief and he is now in a separate tank completely alone.

Mercury (other angel that used to swim with Venus) is darting around the tank abruptly, I know it sounds silly but is she stressed over Venus being gone? Added stress coat and did a water change, I turned the lights in the room off and shut the door to cut down on stimuli. Advice or am I just being paranoid?

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Aw, sorry you lost him.

As for the other Angel darting around....have you tested your water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 52 66.7%

Top Bottom