Angelfish Is Sick

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by fish90, Apr 18, 2017.

1. fish90Valued MemberMember

Guys i need your help. my angelfish is sick. it doesn't eat and the belly is swollen nor poop. it feels like my angelfish is clogged up with something it wont release it. i tried giving some epsom salt. i got it in a quarantine tank right now with filter, heater, aeration. i have been giving it api general cure but nothing really happening right now. i wished i could give the reading on the water content for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate but i can later today.

2. OP
    OP
    f

fish90Valued MemberMember

i also have another question. since my angelfish doesnt poop. how will my beneficial bacteria survive? because i know that poop gives off ammonia thus feed the bacteria.

3. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

How is your Angelfish?

To try and reduce the bloat adding 1-2 Tablespoons of Epsom per gallon of water. If it doesn't do anything in a few hours then it is more of a serious condition.

Swollen belly can mean organ failure and there isn't anything you can do when that happens.

4. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Do you have a side and overhead picture of your sick angelfish? You can try feeding it a pea (deshelled) to it as a laxitive to try and unblock any possible disgestion issues. An epsom salt bath a day (this is a higher amount of epsom for a shorter period to help draw fluids out and also acts as a laxitive) and daily water changes are your best treatment for this.

5. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Most of the ammonia produced by fish is excreted through their gills. Poop doesn't directly produce a significant amount, only as secondary production by bacteria as it rots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice