Angelfish Intestines?

1. Reddmann Member Member

IMG_0928.JPG IMG_0932.JPG IMG_0935.JPG Anyone know what this is? Pics taken with my phone so not the best. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

This looks like a prolapse. What r parameters? Tanksize/mates?

3. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Looks like a tumor, but more experienced members would know better.

4. Reddmann Member Member

My PH has been 7.6 and ammonia 1.0, so I've been doing 10-15% water changes for he last 3 days. Tank mates are 3 other angels, 13 cories, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 new mystery snail.

5. mollybabes Well Known Member Member

Did it just appear suddenly? Tumours grow over time so if it did appear suddenly then it isn't a tumour

6. Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

This appears like a intestinal prolapse that unfortunately happens. There really isnt much u can do but wait and c wut happens.

7. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

He looks in a bad way, Im sorry.
    I would do bigger water changes over the next few days than what you have been doing to get that ammonia down, 75% each day. That level of ammonia is deadly. What size tank is this? How long has it been set up?
    I would try giving the Angelfish an Epsom salt bath treatment (In a bucket with water from tank add 1 tsp epsom salt per gallon of water for 15-30 minutes).
    The prolapse could be due to stress from the ammonia in the tank, allowing the fish the succumb to parasites they would normally be able to combat, but it could also be to over=-feeding and simply be constipation.
    So, along with the epsom bath treatment, you might try not feeding for a few days with the exception for feeding frozen peas that have been blanched and de-shelled. This works as a laxative.
    Try this for a few days and let us know if any other troubling symptoms appear. You may need to do medications.

8. Reddmann Member Member

Thanks everyone. It's a 75 gallon tank, set up a month ago for my daughter. This fish was still swimming around like normal when I left. I think we may have added too many fish at the same time. We're learning as we go. I'm actually gone until tomorrow so I won't be able to do anything until I get back. Thanks for all the replies.

9. ChiefBrody Member Member

Start feeding em all garlic now before it spreads

10. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I would hold off on feeding actually. I don't think it's probable that anal prolapse will spread. It could be a parasite causing it, but no reason to assume that. A gentle de-wormer might not hurt. But, personally, I agree with water changes to get parameters under control, epsom salt bath, and fasting. Hope he feels better soon!

11. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Yes, I agree, if no sign of prolapse receding after 24 hours of Epsom salt treatment and fasting (all except for peas) can use Praziquantel as a gentle-dewormer.

12. Reddmann Member Member

Thank all again, everyone. My daughter sent me a few pictures a few minutes ago. It has receded a lot, just a little still sticking out. Can we still drop in pleco wafer for the pleco? I know the angels will nip at it sometimes. Also, I'm not sure if the test kit I have is defective. It's shown the same readings even after 3 days of water changes/water treatment. Nothing changed with the test. This is the API master test kit. Thanks.

By the way, we don't have an extra tank to quarantine the fish.

Attached Files:

13. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

A fast of three days will not hurt your fish. fish can go several days without food with no issues. I would not feed.
    The 15% water changes daily are not enough to lower the ammonia in the water and that is why your readings continue to remain high. If you do larger volume water changes, at 75%, you should see a decrease in the ammonia levels. Do you use Prime De-chlorinator by Seachem? If not, I would try to locate some, it will help to detoxify a portion of the ammonia in a 24 hour period. Not entirely, but will help in between the daily water changes of 75%. Retest daily, you should see the levels come down in a few days.

14. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

The tests not changing indicates that the fish are producing the ammonia at about the same rate as you are removing it. Until you have a mature nitrogen cycle going, the toxins will build up if you don't remove them manually. Keep a close eye on your parameters for sure. I'm glad the angel is looking better. I'd still fast for awhile, the fish can safely go without food for quite a while. The praziquantel may be a good idea.

Edit: discusluv beat me to it lol

15. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

16. Reddmann Member Member

Thanks, Discusluv! I'll tell her not to feed them anymore for the next 3 days. I wasn't able to do a water change today, but I'll resume them tomorrow when I get back. I just hope none of the fish die because I missed today. The joys of a busy work schedule... I do not have Prime. I use a brand that I found at Walmart (can't remember the name). The nearest pet/fish store is an hour away from us and the local Walmart doesn't have Prime. I'll get some tomorrow. Tank has been set up for a month, but was used and had African cichlids in it the day we bought it from a friend. He removed the cichlids and most of the water but left the gravel, some water, and the HOB filter/media, he said so we could add water and fish immediately. We added water, waited 3 days, tested, and added fish (I think too many at once). It's a 75 gallon tank. The day we added fish, we added 4 small angels, 6 cories, and a bristlenose pleco. Two days later, we added 4 more cories. A week later, we added 3 more cories (for a total of 13 cories) and a mystery snail. So we have 4 angels, 13 cories, 1 BN pleco, and a mystery snail. I think one problem is that we removed most of the gravel and replaced it with sand after most of the fish were in it. That was before I started reading this forum.

T
    Thanks, bopsalot!

17. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I am not an angel-expert but I've seen this before. It is not a prolapse but seems to be one of the organs to breed.

18. Reddmann Member Member

I wondered if that was what it was at first, but it looked way too bulky for that.

19. aniroc Well Known Member Member

I agree it is a prolapse. I have a female angelfish like that. It's been like that for the last few years. She is in a tank with 7 other angels. Did not spread and I don't suspect water quality issues.
    In the first pictures, your fish look bloated as well; increased pressure inside will push intestines out if the muscles are weak. Avoid overfeeding, especially pellets. They are dry and expand in the stomach. I had lots of problems with pellets.

20. Reddmann Member Member

Thanks aniroc!