Angelfish: Injured Or Sick?

Dana K

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
3F855F05-B3F4-4219-8FBA-E7A78F7E5083.jpeg
68A7C583-D0BB-44A9-98E0-163389833A93.jpeg
Hi all, just got a Koi angelfish three days ago and noticed it wasn’t eating and had a strange look to the underside so I moved to a separate tank to keep an eye on it. The next day it has red streaks on both sides going down to his back bottom fin and the bottom of one side looks like the skin is dissolving. I was assuming it was some kind of disease but today I was told it might’ve been injured.
He’s still not eating and doesn’t swim around very much. Two pictures should be attached (hopefully). Any help greatly appreciated. Dana

Attachments

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it was ammonia i would expect more red by the gills and im not seeing that. When this fish was caught was it with a net or scooped out in a container? It kind of looks like an injury to its lower fin resulting in a broken blood vesel and the blood just spread making it look worse. As far as what to do about it i dont honestly know.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
While it’s in a separate tank, do you have aquarium salt? If so follow the directions to add to the water. It’ll help your new finbaby’s gill function as well as help prevent infection. Hopefully it’s injury isn’t as bad as it sounds. I’m no expert on angelfish. I just know how much healing power there is in using low dose salt for injured/sick fish. Please keep us posted?

Dana K

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
454F56D2-C406-4FF3-96BA-523B1D98B4A6.jpeg
Here’s another pic showing his skin underneath him. I was advised not to use aquarium salt be the store since it may hurt if it’s a wound. He did not look anything like this when I moved him. My tank he was in for 2 days is fine, no ammonia problem. He was net scooped into container, dumped in bag at the store and I guess could’ve gotten hurt in the process. But I don’t know how to help him or is it even possible.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dana K said:
Thanks for the help though.
Thank you for letting us into your life at such a stressful time. Please stick around and share happier news when you can.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom