Angelfish In A Community Tank?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by mac12340, Apr 19, 2017.

1. mac12340

mac12340 Valued Member Member

Hi! I'm interested in keeping a angelfish in a 40 gallon community tank? Is there going to be a lot of aggression with one?

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I am no stocking expert, but I'll just say that I have two in a 55 with Blue Gouramis with no issues. The Angelfish keep to themselves.

IMG_1033_zpsalraoqv8.jpg

IMG_1032_zpsxn7bnzuy.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You may get an aggressive angelfish especially as it matures. It really depends. What other fish are in the tank?

4. OP
    OP
    mac12340

I'm hoping to get a bn pleco and gourami but I'm not 100 percent about anything yet, still researching.

5. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I would think that that is OK. Maybe also consider a rubber mouth Pleco. They should stay relatively small.

6. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Angelfish like warmer temps, around 78-80. That's probably your biggest restraint on a community with them, although you have many options.

Is this a 40 tall tank or a breeder? Remember angels can get 8" tall, so they do better in a taller tank. There are some people who do, but I wouldn't do a bn pleco, as they prefer cooler water. But you could do a clown or possibly rubber lip pleco. Gourami would be fine. I would do a more peaceful species, like pearls, honeys, or a dwarf. Also be careful with choosing schooling fish. Choose one with a temp range up to 82, and one big enough not to fit in the Angels mouth when an adult. Angels have been known to eat smaller fish. Try to keep them up around 2". Also steer clear of nippy species, such as tiger barbs and some others. They will damage your angel's and gourami's fins.

I have an angel in a 38 gallon and he's beautiful! And what a personality! He likes to pick on mystery snails...

Whether you have aggression issues depends on the individual fish.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

BN plecos don't have much temp overlap with angels. What about another species? Rubberlip wouldn't work, but clown plecos would!

Angels aren't usually aggressive to schooling fish or plecos, so you should be fine there. You may or may have issues with the angel and gourami.

What about something like this?

1x Angelfish
    1x Pearl gourami
    12x Rummynose tetra (or another warm water schooling species)
    10x C. sterbai or C. aeneus or 15x Kuhli loaches
    1x Clown pleco

8. OP
    OP
    mac12340

Great idea!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice