Maricalue
Hello,

I have a 55 g that is still missing a centerpiece fish. In it, I have :
10 corys sterbais
7 otocinclus
10 lemon tetras
12 rosy tetras

I also plan on adding a clown pleco.

As the centerpiece fish, I thought about angelfish. I have a few questions.

First, if I am going with angelfish, what do you think about adding 4 of them and if a pair is formed, move the extra twos in a 30 gallons that I would next setup.
Is 2 angelfish in a 30 gallons possible? Is angelfish compatible with my other fish?
What could I put in the 2 angelfish in the 30 gallons?

Second, do you have other ideas for centerpiece fish? I like angelfish because they are more top dwellers and most of my actual fish are mostly in the first two third of the tank...

Thank you

bizaliz3
Four angels in a 55 is doable as long as you have that back up plan like you do! So yes, if you have a 30 gallon available for if and when a breeding pair forms, or if there is any other kind of aggression (some angels are just jerks for no reason)then you should be good to go! As long as you recognize that angels are unpredictable and keeping multiples will always be a gamble, then I say go for it!

Just to clarify though, what are the dimensions of the 30? is it a true 30 gallon (3 feet long) or is a 29 gallon (2.5 feet long)? I ask because if it is the 29, you really can't do any other middle swimming fish with the breeding pair of angels, you could only do bottom dwellers with them. If it is the longer 30 gallon you could maybe one small school of fish with them. Along with some bottom dwellers.

Maricalue
Thank you for your answer !
By unpredictable, I assume you mean aggressive fish?

Also, it is a 29G long in fact. What bottom dwellers do you recommend? I love corys but not sure if they are temp compatible

Oh, little question. You said « keeping multiples will always be a gamble », would you recommend going with only one angelfish?

OnTheFly
Oh, little question. You said « keeping multiples will always be a gamble », would you recommend going with only one angelfish?
Far less risky IMO. I have a centerpiece angel in my 60G. She is mellow as can be. Doesn't even bother fry when they feed up top together. I'd love to add another but the thuggery often starts as soon as they have somebody to get in trouble with. They don't have to pair off for aggression problems.

Maricalue
Thank you! I think I am anthropomorphizing my fish. I think that they will feel lonely. I think I might prefer getting only one.. I don’t deal well with lost XD

It sure sounds like I think a lot

OnTheFly
Thank you! I think I am anthropomorphizing my fish. I think that they will feel lonely. I think I might prefer getting only one.. I don’t deal well with lost XD

It sure sounds like I think a lot
Most of us overthink this hobby. This decision can apply to a lot of species. I have quite a few rams. Put them together and some of them suddenly becomes jerks. Pairing fish are especially prone to destroying the tranquility of a community aquarium.

bizaliz3
Thank you for your answer !
By unpredictable, I assume you mean aggressive fish?

Also, it is a 29G long in fact. What bottom dwellers do you recommend? I love corys but not sure if they are temp compatible

Well....having just one is less stressful. But at the same time....they do appreciate the company of other angels. (usually)
In the wild, angelfish are schooling fish.....but in the aquarium, there is just not enough space to keep them in groups.

By unpredictable I mean a lot of things....aggression yes, but also personality. Some like the company of other angels, some want to be the only angel in the tank! Some are calm and friendly with smaller tank mates, some will eat those small tank mates. Also unpredictable because their personality can change very suddenly. They can be calm for months and months and then one day just snap!! You just have to be observant and watch for those things.

In a 55, I say go with 2 rather than one. Maybe even get 4 small juvies and let them grow in to young adults, pick your favorite two, or the two who get along the best (regardless of their genders) and keep those two. If you get them young, you can enjoy them for many months before you need to worry about adult aggression issues. If you do ultimately end up with a male/female breeding pair, they could end up getting really nasty to the other fish in the tank. ALTHOUGH, I have had breeding pairs in community tanks who really only care about other angels. They don't seem to care one bit about NON angelfish. So the breeding pair hasn't really affected the community at all. But some pairs will be ruthless to ANY other living thing. Again....unpredictable. Different personalities. etc.

As for temp compatible cories, I can't help there. I am not good with temp requirements. :-( But I know that there are some cory species that can live comfortably at angelfish temps.

Maricalue
Thank you for the infos. I sure will think about it a little more
I plan on adding my next fish only in january (I am leaving a week in December and I prefer to be there the first few days ) but I do would like to try angel... they are so beautiful!

OnTheFly
Thank you for the infos. I sure will think about it a little more
I plan on adding my next fish only in january (I am leaving a week in December and I prefer to be there the first few days ) but I do would like to try angel... they are so beautiful!
That would give you time to put another filter on the 30G and cycle it for later use on the 30G. You know you want another tank. Nothing but bad influences here.

Good luck and enjoy your angels.

Maricalue
Ahahaha! Thank you again

Greg F
SterbaI corries , JuliI corries, and bonze corries all do well with Angels.

Maricalue
Thanks!

Jordan44
You can totally do four angelfish in the 55 gallon tank. They may form pairs but you have a plan in case, so you'll be fine. The only thing though is the tetras may nip at the angelfish because of their long fins. Rams are another good centerpiece fish even though they are not large. They are beautiful fish, very peaceful, and many people say that they can recognize their owners. The only problem is that they are really sensitive and can get sick easily. They also need specific water ph but as long as your regularly perform aquarium work(changing 10-25 percent of water, cleaning water, etc.) you should be fine! Hope this helps!!

Maricalue
Thank you. I am in fact going back and forth between rams and angelfish. Rams are beautiful but I know they are sensitive. I do weekly 25% water change but I still have difficulty with my nitrates.

Also, I think gbr are more bottom to mid level dweller? I feel most of my fish are so there is space on the top...

Could I eventually go with both? Or I am pushing it too much?

Greg F
If this is the 55 gallon you could absolutely do both. My understanding is that they are great tankmates. I had them both for a time but I can't seem to keep Rams alive in spite of my best efforts.

Maricalue
Nice to know! That’s what I read to.

Thanks again. I think I will try that

Meyia
Hello, I am currently cycling my tank and was wanting to know if a pair of angels and maybe some Cardinal tetras would be okay in a 30 gallon. Of course once the tank is cycled and after I make sure my nitrates are all up to par. Please let me know if this is feasible for my tank. Thank you

Attachments

• 7FCC6686-0CBB-4F67-901C-6622C957570A.jpeg
    7FCC6686-0CBB-4F67-901C-6622C957570A.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 29
TheAnglerAquarist
Angels are a bit big for 30 gallons the cardinals would be good though.

Meyia
Tate there maybe some other options than of a centerpiece fish I guess other than 1 or 2 Angel fish. I keep reading conflicting information regarding them some threads say yes a pair and some say no.
Sorry typo that should say Are not *tate
Angels are a bit big for 30 gallons the cardinals would be good though.

Would maybe 1 fit or are there any other options for 1 or 2 centerpiece fish?

TheAnglerAquarist
Tate there maybe some other options than of a centerpiece fish I guess other than 1 or 2 Angel fish. I keep reading conflicting information regarding them some threads say yes a pair and some say no.
Sorry typo that should say Are not *tate

Would maybe 1 fit or are there any other options for 1 or 2 centerpiece fish?
There are other options. Angels get big. And they need tall tanks. Honey gourami are really awesome. Bettas are always nice with the gouramis they do better with live plants including floating

Meyia
There are other options. Angels get big. And they need tall tanks. Honey gourami are really awesome. Bettas are always nice with the gouramis they do better with live plants including floating

I’ve had those fish before and I am kinda looking for something different. Are there maybe any dwarf cichlids that would work or is my tank just too small for any of those options?

carsonsgjs
I’ve had those fish before and I am kinda looking for something different. Are there maybe any dwarf cichlids that would work or is my tank just too small for any of those options?
You could do a pair in a tank that size. Apistos, kribs, rams etc.

Meyia
You could do a pair in a tank that size. Apistos, kribs, rams etc.
Would the rams work with maybe a school of cardinal Tetras? I don’t want a huge bio load so I want to make sure I stock accordingly. Also are Bolivian rams more hardier than GBR? I read GBR are very sensitive and die really easy do you know that to be true?

TheAnglerAquarist
Yes I would suggest apistogrammas or a Bolivian ram

carsonsgjs
Would the rams work with maybe a school of cardinal Tetras? I don’t want a huge bio load so I want to make sure I stock accordingly. Also are Bolivian rams more hardier than GBR? I read GBR are very sensitive and die really easy do you know that to be true?
Gbrs are quite sensitive and prefer warmer temperatures. I have kept gbrs in the past and bolivians (still have a geriatric male) and bolivians are much hardier. They would be fine with cardinals.

Meyia
Gbrs are quite sensitive and prefer warmer temperatures. I have kept gbrs in the past and bolivians (still have a geriatric male) and bolivians are much hardier. They would be fine with cardinals.
Okay so I will go the pair of Bolivian ram route and a school of cardinal tetras. Would a group of 10 cardinal tetras be okay? Or do you know any tetras that are sorta colorful but not nippy?

TheAnglerAquarist
Yes they are fine but cardinals can be sensitive

Meyia
Yes they are fine but cardinals can be sensitive

Oh I may not do them then. Do you have any options of schooling fish that are kind of hardy but also won’t hurt or nip the Bolivian rams?

TheAnglerAquarist
Oh I may not do them then. Do you have any options of schooling fish that are kind of hardy but also won’t hurt or nip the Bolivian rams?
Black neon tetras are super hardy. Glo lights as well

Meyia
I haven’t heard of the glo lights I’ll look those up as well. Would rummy nose treats do well or qualify as hardy. They have some bright red coloring and I think they could possibly add a pop of color to my green planted tank.

TheAnglerAquarist
I haven’t heard of the glo lights I’ll look those up as well. Would rummy nose treats do well or qualify as hardy. They have some bright red coloring and I think they could possibly add a pop of color to my green planted tank.
Rummy noses are pretty sensitive as well

TheAnglerAquarist
Oh okay good to know. Would any of these options work Lemon tetra, Serpae Tetra or Cherry Barbs?
Not sure on the lemons but serpaes tend to be the jerks of all the tetras cherry barbs should be fine

Meyia
Not sure on the lemons but serpaes tend to be the jerks of all the tetras cherry barbs should be fine

Okay so would a school of 10 of either the Cherry barbs or Glo Lights be fine with a pair of Bolivian Rams?

Meyia
Yes but I still highly recommend black neon tetras and harlequin rasboras

My brother has some harlequin tetras in his tank so I’ll probably go with a school of black neon tetras. Is their a preference on which ones to add to the tank first the Rams or tetras?

TheAnglerAquarist
My brother has some harlequin tetras in his tank so I’ll probably go with a school of black neon tetras. Is their a preference on which ones to add to the tank first the Rams or tetras?
I’d say the tetras but it is not a big deal

Meyia
I’d say the tetras but it is not a big deal

Okay I just want to make sure I do it right for the most part. In some photos I see the Bolivian rams are really nice colors and some look nice but sorta dull. Do you know if it depends how boisterous/crowded the tank is. Or is it makes are more brighter than females and vice versa? Sorry for asking a lot of questions by the way.

TheAnglerAquarist
Okay I just want to make sure I do it right for the most part. In some photos I see the Bolivian rams are really nice colors and some look nice but sorta dull. Do you know if it depends how boisterous/crowded the tank is. Or is it makes are more brighter than females and vice versa? Sorry for asking a lot of questions by the way.
The Bolivians can develop awesome colors but they are more subtle than their sensitive cousin the German blue ram. Questions are good don’t apologize!

Meyia
The Bolivians can develop awesome colors but they are more subtle than their sensitive cousin the German blue ram. Questions are good don’t apologize!

Thanks and okay so it just depends on their moods then sorta. Is it best to keep 1F & 1M or how could I tell the difference when they are small? I’m hoping my aquarium store has some once my tank is fully cycled or can maybe order them for me. I know they have GBR but rather go with the Bolivians.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bopsalot
Top Bottom